• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 10th November

ByGer Kennedy

Nov 12, 2013

FAI Under 17 Cup
Nenagh AFC U-17’s progressed at the expense of Longford Town on a 4-3 score line in this FAI U-17 Cup game played in Nenagh on Saturday afternoon. The NT&DL side went ahead on fifteen minutes when Cian Darcy obliged after latching on to a Dylan Kennedy pass.  The Blues took up a two nil when Dylan Kennedy finished at the back post. Cian Darcy stretched it to three in the 35th minute with a superb long range effort. Longford Town upped the ante towards the end of the half and reduced the deficit with a well taken goal. The visitors dominated for long spells in the second period and pegged it back to three all with the latter coming from the spot ten minutes from time. A high tension finish ensued, however substitute Patrick O’Sullivan proved the Nenagh hero on the day after banging home a dramatic winner in the 85th minute.

Munster Junior Cup
Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ pulled out all the stops to knock Premier Division side BT Harps ‘A’ out of the Munster Junior Cup on a 3-2 score line in Drombane last Sunday. The hosts took an early in the opening half when Matt Ryan crashed home from close range. BT Harps piled on the pressure in the second half and eventually broke down the Clodiagh Rangers rearguard when Sean McCormack netted in the 80th minute. An action packed extra time period saw BT Harps edge ahead when Dean McEnroe rattled the net, however Clodiagh Rangers upped the ante in the second half of extra time and snatched a dramatic win with a double hit from Garret Foxton.

Nenagh AFC ‘A’ travelled to Roscrea to played Roscrea United ‘A’ with the Brickfields side advancing to the 4th round on a 3-1 score line. The Premier Division League leaders signalled intent early on and took the lead on ten minutes with an Arthur Mitchell header. Nenagh kept the pressure on and doubled their tally with a second headed goal from Bryan McGee. The hosts reduced the deficit on the stroke of half time thanks to a Paul Kirwan finish. Roscrea Utd worked hard to get back level in the second half but were unable to get the breakthrough and then Padraig Ryan sealed the win for Nenagh AFC late on with a low shot from outside the box.

Nenagh Celtic played host to Thurles Town in this Munster Junior Cup third round game at Nenagh VED and secured safe passage on a 5-2 score line. The Hoops enjoyed a two nil lead at the break thanks to an Enrico Casey penalty complemented with a Mark Walsh goal. Nenagh Celtic pressed again in the second half and extended their lead to three with a smashing strike from Mark Walsh. Thurles Town didn’t throw in the towel though and pulled it back to the minimum with strikes from Robbie Jordan and Benny Connelly. Nenagh Celtic produced a strong finish and added further goals through Paul Walsh and Jimmy Hynes to clinch a comprehensive win on the day. 

Premier Division League
Sallypark were three nil victors over Rearcross at the away venue on Saturday evening. The visitors hit the front after ten minutes when a long range free kick from out on the right finished in the net. Rearcross fell further behind two minutes after the restart when Eoin Ryan converted from the spot following a handball infringement. Noel Gleeson wrapped it up for Sallypark with a thunderbolt strike ten minutes from time.

First Division League
Nenagh AFC ‘B’ kept the pressure on at the top of the First Division League with a hard earned 2-1 win over Borrisokane ‘A’ in Nenagh on Sunday afternoon. The visitors edged ahead just before the break with a cleverly taken goal. Nenagh AFC were the better team in the second period with man of the match Ciaran O’Reilly scoring two superb long range free kicks.

Arra Rovers and Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ clashed in this league fixture played in Portroe with the visiting side securing maximum points on a two nil scoreline, Tadgh McCarthy was on the mark twice for the Nenagh Celtic.

Second Division League
League leaders Streamstown signalled intent with a 7-2 win over Portumna Town last Sunday morning. Wally Kirwan made a welcome return for the home side bagging four goals in the process while Andy Golden, Jason Moloney and John Delaney was also on the mark for the winners. Terry McDonnell netted a brace for the Portumna Town with a goal coming either side of half time.

Holycross ‘A’ were on their travels to Islandbawn for a league encounter with Nenagh AFC ‘C’ and made the journey worthwhile with a 3-1 victory. The Blues had taken a fortuitous lead in the fifth minute, however Holycross recovered and went in level at the break courtesy of a JoJo O’Meara lob from a Kyle Denny assist. The Glenbane side made a bright start to the second half and raced ahead seven minutes in when Dinny Ferncombe rammed home from all of twenty yards. Holycross made sure of the win in the 75th minute when JoJo O’Meara took full advantage to drive between the posts from close range.

Shannon Rangers held the aces in this 5-2 win over BT Harps ‘B’ at the Ballinderry venue. The Templemore outfit had taken the lead which was then cancelled out with a fine effort from Andy Austin. The home team took a 2-1 lead to the break after Willie Cleary obliged with a fine solo effort. Sean Moran made it 3-1 early in the second half before Keith Kelly was in the action with a well worked goal. Shannon Rangers continued to apply the pressure as Willie Cleary pounced for his second of the outing. BT Harps scored a late consolation goal, however it was a case of too little too late on this occasion.

Third Division League
The winning ways continued for Roscrea ‘B’ following a two nil result over Noreside Celtic in Montore. It was scoreless at the break, however Roscrea got on top in the second half and went ahead with a Paddy Fletcher goal before Niall O’Lone left no way back for the home side with a well taken goal fifteen minutes from time.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ claimed the plaudits over Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ with a three goals to one result. Jody Brennan bagged a brace while Jack Spillane was also on target for the winners. Nenagh Celtic’s lone reply came from Johnny Lawlor.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ recorded a narrow one nil home win over Gurtagarry with all important goal coming midway through the opening half.

Youths League
Ballinree was the venue for this Youths fixture between Ballymackey and Rearcross on Saturday afternoon where the home team claimed maximum points on a 4-1 score line. Darragh McDonnell opened the Ballymackey account on the ten minute mark. The home continued on the offensive and stretched it to two nil midway through the half after Declan Elderfield scored with a headed goal from a corner kick. Rearcross rallied and pulled it back to 2-1 with an Evan Gleeson strike ten minutes before the break. Ballymackey enjoyed the better of the exchanges in the second period and increased their lead to 3-1 after Tommy Teer was on hand to tap between the posts from close range. It was game, set and match when Gearoid Murphy fired a low effort to the corner of the net from outside the box with ten minutes remaining.

Nenagh AFC Youths outplayed Arra Rovers Youths in this league fixture played at the Islandbawn venue on Saturday and had their goalscorers in Ben Banaghan, Ryan Gilmartin, Birindar Singh and Craig McDonnell.

FAI Youths Cup
BT Harps Youths bowed out of the FAI Youths Cup following a six nil defeat to Bansha Celtic at the away venue.