• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 13th October

ByGer Kennedy

Oct 15, 2013

From next weekend onwards Clubs are requested to submit Youths match reports before 5:00PM on Saturday, reports for Sunday morning games should be submitted before 2:00PM on Sunday and reports for Sunday afternoon games should be submitted before 5:00PM on Sunday evening to ensure inclusion in the weekend review. Some Clubs are still not submitting match reports and are asked to comply going forward to allow all games to be covered as part of the weekend review.

FAI Junior Cup
Borrisokane pulled out the stops to record a merited 3-1 win over Cahir Park in Borrisokane last Sunday afternoon. The home side got off to a flyer after getting the opener on ten minutes John Doyle’s through ball found Gary Power who blasted the net. The NT&DL side kept the pressure on and doubled their advantage thirteen minutes before the break when Marc Rahmoune found the target. Cahir Park upped the ante in the second half and pulled it back to the minimum midway through the half. The home side picked it up again after this but had to wait until the 90th minute for the clincher when John Butler burst in to the penalty area before sliding the ball under an advancing keeper to secure passage to the 3rd round.

Roscrea United secured a hard earned away win to Clashmore Ramblers on a narrow 3-2 score line. Goals from Paul Kirwan and David McNamara gave Roscrea a two nil lead, however the home side scored twice to level matters. Darren O’Connor scored a dramatic winner for the NT&DL side on the stroke of full time.

Clodiagh Rangers made the journey to Kilmanahan last Sunday evening for this FAI Junior Cup game and came away with a facile seven nil victory. Paul Doyle helped himself to a hat-trick while Mark Quinlan and Barry O’Loughlin chipped in with a brace apiece to cap off a comprehensive win for the home side.

Thurles Greyhound Stadium hosted the meeting of Thurles Town and Rosegreen Rangers with the home side cruising to an easy six nil result. The game was over as a contest at the midway stage after the home team netted five without reply through Tom Brophy who scored twice in addition to strikes from Jamie O’Connor, Robbie Jordan and Padraig Fogarty before Tom Brophy completed his hat-trick in the second half to clinch a place in the third round draw.

Portumna Town played host to TSDL side Galbally FC and played second fiddle on a 5-1 score line. The home side made a perfect start when Keith Finnerty scored after three minutes, however a lively Galbally outfit got on top after this and tacked on five without reply courtesy of double hits from Jimmy Barry Murphy and Kieran Callahan while Quinn Perry was also on the scoresheet for the visiting team.

This all NT&DL clash played in Thurles saw Borroway Rovers progress at the expense of Streamstown Celtic on a 3-2 score line. James Cleary set the home side on their way after 25 minutes, however Streamstown equalized before the break thanks to an Andy Golden finish. Borroway showed strongly in the second half and restored their advantage when Damien Grimes ran to a Keith Moore pass before slotting between the posts. The lead was extended when Damien Grimes scored his second of the day from the spot. Streamstown didn’t give up and reduced the deficit after Gary Kenneally converted from the spot, however it wasn’t enough to thwart Borroway Rovers on this occasion.

Arra Rovers emerged victorious over Rearcross on a 3-1 score line at the away venue on Saturday evening. Stephen Kennedy gave Arra Rovers the lead in the 25th minute and then Shane O’Brien made it two nil after getting on the end of Justin Conroy’s free kick four minutes before the break. Robert Harrington pulled one back a Rearcross side that rued not making better use of chances created before Stephen Kennedy wrapped it up for the Portroe side five minutes from time.

Clarisford Park was the venue for this FAI Junior Cup tie between Lough Derg and Moneygall with the home side progressing to the third round on a three nil score line. Lough Derg were a goal to the good at the break thanks to a John O’Connor strike coming on the half hour mark. Jason Comley made it two nil with a superb effort from an Dermot McCarthy assist. Lough Derg stayed on the offensive as Dermot McCarthy made it three nil with a smashing finish to round of a convincing win for a Lough Derg side which had a man of the match performance from Seamus Monaghan.

Nenagh Celtic were luckless to lose out following a penalty shootout to Lismore FC on a 5-3 score line. The sides were tied on a one all score line at the end of extra time with both goals coming in the opening half of normal time after Mark Walsh drew the home side level ten minutes before the break. The Waterford outfit proved the more clinical from the spot, Christy Ryan, Danny Ryan and Jimmy Hynes converted the Nenagh Celtic penalties.

Ballymackey were at home to Kilworth Celtic at the Ballinree venue on Sunday afternoon but succumbed to a three nil defeat. The Cork side were two nil ahead at the midway stage and sealed the win with a converted penalty fifteen minutes in to the second half.

Elsewhere, Nenagh AFC bowed out of the FAI Junior Cup to Peake Villa by the odd goal in five while Clonmel Town finished BT Harp’s interest in this season’s competition on a four nil score line. An understrength Cloughjordan outfit went under to St Michaels on an eight goals to nil score line in Tipperary Town last Saturday night.

First Division League
Ardcroney claimed a home league win against Kilcommon on a two nil score line. Ardcroney hit the front when Dave Slattery poked home from close range to leave the home side in control at the break. It was tit for tat at the start of the second half, however the visitors were left with an uphill battle when Garry Curran fired home with twenty minutes remaining which proved enough to take maximum points. 

Second Division League
Holycross ‘A’ had too much firepower for Shannon Rangers on a six nil score line in Glenbane last Sunday. The home side signalled intent from the kick off and went ahead when James Shanahan slotted home following good work by Tossy Comerford. The hosts took a two nil lead to the break when Colin O’Meara finished to the net from a long throw. Colin O’Meara was in the action again eight minutes in to the second half after latching on to a Kevin O’Dwyer pass to make it three nil. Colin O’Meara completed his hat-trick from the spot two minutes later. Seanie Comerford then made it five nil with another converted penalty on the hour mark. Callum O’Connor complete the rout five minutes from the end after dispatching Tossy Comerford’s through ball between the posts.

BT Harps ‘B’ were full value for a 5-2 win against Nenagh AFC ‘C’ on Sunday, the Templemore outfit were five nil up heading in to the last ten minutes. The home side snatched two late consolation goals through Benny McMahon and Mikey Duff.

Third Division League
Roscrea United ‘B’ outplayed Holycross ‘B’ on an eight goals to one score line in Roscrea last Sunday, the sharpshooters for the home side were Paul Brussells and Niall O’Lone who bagged a brace apiece while Martin Harty, Gavin Loughnane, Paddy Fletcher and Thomas O’Brien were also on the mark for the winners, Matthew Vahey netted the lone reply for Holycross.

Sallypark ‘B’ welcomed Arra Rovers ‘B’ to Sallypark for this league encounter and dished out a 7-2 defeat to the Portroe side. The hosts held a 4-1 advantage at the break thanks to strikes from Damien Brady, Kelvin McGrath, Jack O’Donnell and Paudie Ryan. It was more of the same in the second period as Sean Ryan help himself to a double strike while Jack O’Donnell was on target again to make up the seven goal tally for the winners.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ and Rearcross ‘B’ played out a one all draw in Drombane on Sunday morning. The visitors got off to a great start after hitting the opener on eleven minutes when PJ McLoughlin set up Declan O’Toole who headed his first of the campaign between the posts. Clodiagh Rangers left it late but drew level four minutes from time when Jamie Moloney converted from the spot.

Lough Derg ‘B’ romped to a four nil win against Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ at Nenagh VEC and had their scorers in Keith Stritch who notched up a hat-trick including two converted penalties, Declan Hilliard was also on target for the Ballina / Killaloe side.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ were 2-1 winners against Noreside Celtic on Sunday morning, a goal either side of half time from Kevin Kennedy was enough to deny the visiting side on this occasion.

Youths League
Nenagh Celtic Youths won out by the odd goal in three against Rearcross Youths on Friday evening, Patrick Carey edged Rearcross ahead early on, however Sean O’Meara bagged an equalizer to leave it all square at the break. Chances fell to both sides in the second half, however Sean O’Meara snatched a winner late on to give the visiting side full points on this occasion.

Lough Derg Youths welcomed Arra Rovers to the Clarisford Park for this Youths League tie and claimed the win on a 2-1 score line, Lowell Ryan and Shane Moloney were the Lough Derg scorers.

Clodiagh Rangers Youths secured full points with a two nil away victory over Ardcroney. The Drombane side were a goal up at the break thanks to a Niall Grant penalty, Ardcroney pushed hard to get back in to the game, however Niall Grant rattled the net for a second again in the second half to leave no way back for Ardcroney on this occasion.

Munster Youths Cup
BT Harps played host to TSDL side Moyglass United and progressed to the next round on a narrow one nil scoreline.

Nenagh AFC Youths were on their travels to Bansha for this Munster Youths Cup game and fell to a 4-2 defeat to the home side. The Nenagh side got the perfect start with the opener after ninety seconds but were two down at the break, Ben Banaghan pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes to play but it was a case of too little too late.