• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 15th September

ByGer Kennedy

Sep 16, 2013

FAI Junior Cup
Arra Rovers travelled to Castlelyons for this FAI Junior Cup game against Castlebridge Celtic and came away with a hard earned one nil victory over the Cork side, a tight affair throughout saw Cathal O’Brien score the all-important goal midway through the opening half.

Premier Division League
Cloughjordan came out on top against Thurles Town in this league fixture played in Cloughjordan, the home side got an ideal start when Darren Killackey rattled the net after five minutes. Thurles Town levelled with a Robbie Jordan penalty. The outcome was in the balance after this, however Michael Costello crashed home the winner in the 81st minute

Sallypark outplayed Rearcross on a three nil score line in this Premier league tie played in Sallypark on Sunday morning. The home side enjoyed the better of the exchanges in the opening half before David Keogh scored the opener just before the break. It was more of the same in the second period as the hosts raced in to a two nil lead when Paddy Ronan got on the end of Matty Ryan’s cross to head between the posts. David Keogh left no way back for the visitors with a smashing finish in the 70th minute to send Rearcross home empty handed.

The winning ways continued for BT Harps with a two nil away win over Moneygall last Sunday, Dean McEnroe drove home the opener on the fifteen minute mark with a cracking effort from all of twenty five yards. The Templemore side went in at half time with a two nil lead courtesy of a James Kavanagh header on the thirty minute mark. Moneygall tried hard in the second half, however BT Harps defended sternly to secure the win.

Nenagh Celtic ran out comfortable 6-1 winners over Lough Derg at the Clare venue last Sunday, Davie Walsh chalked up a brace while Mark Walsh, Stephen Flynn, Craig Connolly and Enrico Casey were also on target. Thomas Grace scored the Lough Derg consolation goal from the spot.

First Division League
Borroway Rovers played host to Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ in this league encounter on Saturday evening at the Loughtagalla Park venue. The visiting side made the better start and went ahead after fifteen minutes thanks to a fortuitous own goal. The hosts got to the pace of the game after this as Keith Moore restore parity with a well taken goal. The Thurles side stayed on the attack and went in front two minutes before the break with a stunning volley from Patrick Gleeson. The Nenagh side made a bright start to the second half, however Borroway Rovers struck again when Pawel Konik was on the mark. The Hoops responded with a Lee Mitchell goal to bring it back to the minimum, but it was game, set and match when substitute Damien Grimes made it 4-2 to the home side ten minutes from the end. Pawel Konik and Seam Woodlock were best for the winners on the day.

Roscrea United ‘A’ had too much strength in depth against a depleted Clonmore side on Sunday morning and had their scorers in David McNamara who helped himself to four, Paul Kieran bagged a brace while Robbie Ryan, Craig Byrne, Paul Brussells and John Cordial were also amongst the scorers. A hapless visiting side also conceded two own goals to add to their woes, Dinny Deegan scored a consolation goal for Clonmore.

Borrisokane ‘A’ and Nenagh AFC ‘B’ clashed in this top of the table game played in Borrisokane but it was the visiting side which prevailed on a narrow 2-1 score line, Tommy Mitchell bagged the opener for the Nenagh AFC in the 17th minute, the home side dominated for long spells in the second period and levelled matters on 70 minutes with a superb twenty five yard strike from Danny Butler. Borrisokane attacked in droves in search of the winner but were caught on a counter attack when JoJo Dillon got in to score what proved to be the winner with twelve minutes remaining.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ were at home to Ardcroney last Sunday but finished second best on a 3-2 score line. The home side had wind advantage in the first half and led two nil at the break thanks to goals from Tommy Stevens and Garret Foxton. It was the turn of Ardcroney in the second half as James Holland opened their account with a volleyed effort. Jamie Gaynor scored an equalizer from the spot with fifteen minutes left to play. It looked as if a draw was going to be the order of the day, however Alan Darcy popped up to force the ball home in the dying moments to snatch a dramatic win for the visiting side.

Second Division League
Streamstown Celtic made it six wins from six outings with a resounding five nil result over Templetuohy, Craig Phelan struck twice while Paul Franks, Conor Fanneran and Wally Kirwan were also on the scoresheet for the league leaders.

Portumna Town were the visitors to Nenagh for this league game against Nenagh AFC ‘C’ and left with all three points on a 3-2 score line. The Galway side went one up after eight minutes when Conor Duggan obliged, Mikey Duff equalized for Nenagh AFC minutes later. Portumna were on top after this and restored their lead through Brian O’Sullivan on 18 minutes, Brian Sullivan was on target again five minutes later to leave Portumna in control at the half time whistle. The Brickfields side pushed hard in the second half and set up a tense finish when Mark McKenna scored from the spot fifteen minutes from time, however it was a case of too little too late on this occasion.

Ballymackey and BT Harps ‘B’ divided the spoils on a three all score line in Ballinree last Sunday, it was a game of two halves with a strong wind playing a big part as Ballymackey goalkeeper Tony Delaney launched a wind assisted kick out which went all the way to the net, Timmy Fleming made it two nil on the half hour mark, Ballymackey enjoyed a three nil lead at the break after Timmy Fleming bagged his second of the day with a headed effort five minutes before the half time whistle. BT Harps had the elements in their favour in the second half and earned a share of the spoils with goals from Cian Hennessy, Paul Tuohy and Brian Roache to leave it all square at the full time whistle.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ made the journey to Ballinderry for this league fixture against Shannon Rangers and secured the win by the odd goal in five. The near gale conditions produced a game of two halves as the hosts led two nil at midway stage with goals from Michael Quinlan and Sean Moran on 31 and 42 minutes respectively. The Drombane side fared one better with wind advantage in the second half and pulled a goal back ten minutes in with a Gary Donnelly strike, Dylan Sheridan banged home the equalizer twelve minutes later and then Brian Carroll got the winner six minutes from time.

Third Division League
Roscrea United ‘B’ kept the pressure on at the top of the Third Division with a four nil win over Arra Rovers ‘B’. Darren O’Connor hit the opener in the 10th minute, Martin Loughnane tacked on a second eight minutes later and then Gavin Loughnane sent the Roscrea side in at half time after netting on 40 minutes. Niall O’Lone copper fastened the win with fifteen minutes remaining in the game.

Rearcross ‘B’ staged a late comeback against Borrisokane ‘B’ to earn a share of the spoils in this league tie played in Borrisokane last Sunday afternoon. The home side got off to a flyer when Ger Comerford finished to the net after two minutes, Rearcross responded and were denied by the woodwork seconds later when Liam Ryan’s effort came off the post following a one on one with the keeper. The frantic start continued as Borrisokane opened up a two nil lead on six minutes when Gary Ryan hit the target following great work from David Collins. The visitors were back in the fray midway through the half with a fine finish from Paul McGrath’s whose in swinging effort went all the way to the back of the net. Mark Rahmoune restored Borrisokane’s advantage with a well take goal in the 32nd minute to leave the home side in control at the break. The visitors turned up the heat in the final minutes and brought it back to the minimum Liam Ryan drove over the line from in front of goals on 81 minutes. Rearcross piled on the pressure and snatched an equalizer three minutes from time after Liam Nolan’s free kick fell to PJ McLoughlin who bundled the ball to the net from close range. Rearcross might have scored a dramatic winner in stoppage time when John Ryan Luke’s headed effort from James Deegan’s corner kick was cleared off the line.

League leaders Cloughjordan ‘B’ remain unbeaten from six outings following a one nil away win over Lough Derg ‘B’, Jack Farrell got what proved to be the all-important goal fifteen minutes from the end.

Noreside Celtic secured maximum points over Gurtagarry on a 3-1 score line at the Montore venue, Tommy Porter got the opener ten minutes in to the game, Tommy Porter was on the score sheet again midway through the half with a converted penalty. The visitors were thrown a life line courtesy of an own goal ten minutes before half time, however the home side picked it you again in the second half before Eddie Byrne wrapped it up for Noreside Celtic twenty minutes from time.

Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ and Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ finished level on a one all score line with both goals coming in the opening half. The Nenagh side went ahead with a Robbie Lawlor goal, however Pat Lacken levelled matters for the visiting side. The second half was a stalemate affair and a draw was deemed a fair result on the day.

Sallypark ‘B’ were on their travels to Glenbane to play Holycross ‘B’ and made the trip worthwhile with a 4-2 result over the home side. The sides were tied on a one all score line at half time after Jack O’Donnell opened the Sallypark account before Kevin Callanan equalized for Holycross. A luckless home side conceded an own goal early in the second half, Sallypark kept the pressure on as Sean Ryan made it 3-1 with a well worked goal. The hosts pulled one back through Conor Ryan, however Sallypark produced a strong finish with Kelvin McGrath netting a fourth to secure full points on this occasion.

Youths League Division One
BT Harps Youths got off to a winning start with a comprehensive 6-1 win over Clodiagh Rangers in Drombane last Saturday. The sides were scoreless at the break, however BT Harps turned on the style in the second half netting six goals in the process through Robbie O’Connell, Jamie Bergin, Eric Quinlan, Dylan Loughnane, Sam Van Dam and Beckam Feehan while the Clodiagh Rangers lone reply came from Jack Butler.

Nenagh AFC Youths had too much firepower for Ardcroney on a six nil scoreline at Brickfields last Saturday. The home side were three goals to the good at half time and had a man of the match performance from Alan Sheehan. The Nenagh goal scorers were Ryan Gilmartin, Cian Darcy and Paul Dwan who all scored a brace apiece, while the pick of the bunch was a superb individual effort from Paul Dwan.

Youths League Division Two
Rearcross Youths held out for a 3-2 win over Ballymackey Youths on Friday evening in Rearcross, the home side were two goals to the good at the half time break after hitting the front on 14 minutes when Dylan Ryan’s in swinging corner kick broke to Rob Houlihan who blasted to the corner of the net from outside the six yard box and a second strike two minutes before the break when Evan Gleeson was well positioned to drill between the posts from close range. It was three nil to the hosts when good play in midfield forced the concession of a free on 61 minutes, Gary O’Brien stepped up to send a thirty five yard effort whizzing to the roof of the net. The hosts looked to be home and dry at this stage, however Ballymackey had other ideas and were back in the tie when the referee pointed to the spot six minutes later following a handball infringement, John O’Connor converted the resulting penalty with aplomb. It was down to the minimum six minutes later when a tackle on the edge of the box was deemed to be over zealous as John O’Connor was on target from the spot for a second time. The tie was very much in the melting pot after this however Rearcross dug deep to hold out for the win.

Nenagh Celtic Youths claimed maximum points with a 4-2 over Lough Derg Youths at Nenagh VEC, Matis Mikayalunas set the home side on their way in the 10th minute with a well taken goal, Paul O’Sullivan doubled the Nenagh Celtic tally and then Jamie Kelly stretched it to three with a converted penalty on the half hour mark. Lough Derg rallied towards the end of the half and reduced the deficit through Nathan Wood. Lough Derg pressed again the second half and brought it back to the minimum with a Seamus Monaghan strike. Paul Walsh clinched it for the Hoops with a nicely taken free kick ten minutes from time.