• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 19th January

ByGer Kennedy

Jan 22, 2014

Munster Junior Cup
Nenagh AFC clashed with Waterford side St Paul’s at Ozier Park and progressed to the fifth round of the Munster Junior Cup with a comfortable 4-1 result. The NT&DL team were two goals to the good at the break after Ryan Gilmartin scored in the 7th minute and then Thomas Sheppard hit the target on 21 minutes. The visiting side should have extended their lead after the resumption but had to wait until the 85th minute when Brian Quinn put the visitors three nil up. St Paul’s pulled a goal back two minutes later, however Nenagh AFC restored their advantage on the stroke of full time with a second from Brian Quinn to seal a comprehensive win on the day.

Nenagh Celtic bowed out of the Munster Junior Cup against Ballynanty Rovers by the odd goal in three in this Munster Junior Cup game played at the Fairgreen in Limerick, The LDMC side laid the foundation in the opening half with strikes from Tony Fahy and Alex Purcell. Nenagh Celtic battled gallantly in the second period and forced the concession of an own goal seven minutes from time to set up an anxious finale, however Ballynanty dug deep to grind out the win.

Clodiagh Rangers made the journey to Cork to play Cork AUL side Village United and fell to a three nil defeat. Colm Hickey bagged a quick fire brace midway through the opening half to leave the Drombane side with an uphill battle. Owen Casey tacked on goal number three for the Cork outfit early in the second half to secure safe passage to the fifth round.

NT&DL Tipperary Cup
Streamstown defeated Moneygall on a three nil scoreline in Moneygall last Sunday afternoon. Garry Kenneally set the Second Division League leaders on their way with a converted penalty on 22 minutes after Jason Moloney was felled in the box. Chris Murphy doubled the Streamstown tally five minutes later when the ball broke from a Wally Kirwan free. The visitors remained on the front foot and stretched it to three with 21 minutes remaining after Shane Moloney broke down the wing before setting up Wally Kirwan who finished with aplomb. Streamstown goalkeeper Jason Ryan turned in a man of the match performance.

Barry Cup
Borroway Rovers pulled out all the stops to knock Cup holders Nenagh AFC ‘B’ out of the Barry Cup at the Loughtagalla Park venue last Sunday with a two nil extra time victory. A tight affair throughout saw both sets of defences dominate proceedings to leave it scoreless at the end of normal time. Borroway upped the ante in extra time as David Bourke edged the Thurles team ahead midway through the opening period. The Brickfields side tried hard to get back on par, however Sammy Ryan scored the clincher two minutes in to the second period of extra time to seal Borroway’s place in the last four of the competition.

Kilcommon was the venue for this Barry Cup quarter final between the home side and Arra Rovers where the Portroe outfit prevailed on a 3-2 score line. It was one all at the midway stage after Tom Keane scored for Kilcommon while Steven O’Flaherty replied for Arra Rovers. Eamon Naughton put Kilcommon ahead with twenty minutes to play but Arra Rovers stepped it up after this and pegged it back level courtesy of a Kevin O’Halloran finish and then Steven O’Flaherty secured a place in the last four with his second of the day in the 82nd minute.

Ardcroney played host to Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ in this Quarter final fixture but played second fiddle to the Hoops after losing out on a narrow 2-1 score line. Ardcroney made the better start and hit the opener through Jamie Gaynor on the fifteen minute mark. Nenagh Celtic counter attacked and brought it back level before the break courtesy of a Darren McGrath finish.  The tie looked to be heading for extra time however Lee Mitchell’s delivery from the right with seconds remaining went all the way to the net to send the Nenagh side through to the semi-final stages.

Premier Division League
Rearcross came from 4-2 down against Thurles Town to clinch a merited win on 5-2 scoreline at Thurles Greyhound Stadium last Sunday. Tom Brophy opened the scoring for the Thurles side in the 2nd minute after breezing through on the left before sending a low effort to the corner of the net. Kieran Devitt drove home from close range to draw Rearcross level on 12 minutes. It was end to end during the opening half as Eoin Dorney crossed from out on the left to Robbie Jordan who headed to the roof of the net four minutes later. The away side were back level again midway through the half when Mark Hogan’s menacing delivery fell to Evan Gleeson who took full advantage to tap the ball to an empty net. Robbie Jordan scored again with a fine finish from the left to put Thurles back in front. The visitors were left with an uphill battle when Tom Brophy gave the hosts a 4-2 advantage with twelve minutes remaining in the half. Rearcross responded and had it back level at the half time whistle, the first coming through a Kieran Devitt penalty and then Mark Hogan scored with a sublime thirty yard free kick effort. The second half was again well contested, however Rearcross snatched the all-important goal in the 64th minute after PJ McLoughlin did enough to create the space for Kieran Devitt who got in at the back post to knock the ball home to complete his hat-trick and a hard earned win for the away side.

Cloughjordan had too much firepower for Sallypark on a seven goals to nil scoreline in this league tie played in Cloughjordan. The hosts were two up at the break after Michael Cleary netted an early opener and then PJ O’Brien made it two nil midway through second half. The home side outplayed an understrength Sallypark side in the second half and added further goals with a Ger Corcoran brace while PJ O’Brien netted two more to complete his hat-trick, Declan Barrett completed the rout for Cloughjordan in the 90th minute.

First Division League
Clonmore trekked to Borrisokane for a League fixture against the home side and were full value for their 3-1 win. The visiting side edged ahead in the 24th minute when an Alan O’Riordan corner kick was met by Tommy Fahy who headed to the net. The lead was short lived however as Borrisokane got back level two minute later when a great through ball from John Butler found Andy Nevin who finished well from the edge of the area. Clonmore produced a strong finish to the half and went in with a 2-1 lead at the break when Paul Guider headed home from an Alan O’Riordan corner kick. Borrisokane pressed hard in the second half with Clonmore keeper Benny Harkin to the fore with a string of saves, however Tommy Fahy increase the visitors lead to the 3-1 with a lobbed effort twenty minutes from time. The home side worked hard to get back in to the game, but were unable to breakdown a resilient Clonmore rearguard.

Youths League
Rearcross Youths were at home to First Division League leaders Nenagh AFC last Saturday afternoon and lost out on a narrow 2-1 score line. Nenagh took the lead four minutes before the break when Alan Sheehan got behind the Rearcross defence to tap between the posts from close range. Rearcross turned in a fine second half performance and were back on par when Kevin Connolly’s looping effort nestled in the corner of the net. It looked as if a share of the spoils would be the final outcome, however Nenagh got in for a late winner when Alan Sheehan finished to the net from inside the six yard box four minutes from time.

Nenagh VEC hosted the meeting of Nenagh Celtic Youths and BT Harps Youths in this league fixure last Saturday where the visitors claimed the plaudits on a 3-1 score line with all four goals coming in the opening half. The home side had taken the lead when Jamie Kelly raced through before knocking to the net. BT Harps picked it up after this and led 3-1 at the half time whistle with Eric Quinlan netting a brace while Joe Kennedy was also on target. Chances were limited for both sides in the second half, BT Harps had a man of the match performance from Jack Smith.

Ballymackey Youths romped to a 6-1 victory over Arra Rovers Youths in Ballinree last Saturday. Ballymackey enjoyed a two nil lead at the midway stage thanks to a Tommy Teer brace. An in form Tommy Teer completed his hat-trick seven minutes in to the second half. Gearoid Murphy got in on the scoring act on 58 minutes with a well taken goal. Shaun Kevin slotted the ball past the visiting custodian in the 67th minute to make it five nil. Ciaran Willis scored a consolation goal for Arra Rovers with fifteen left to play before Tommy Teer copper fastened the win later on with his fourth of the day.