• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 1st December

ByGer Kennedy

Dec 3, 2013

FAI Youths Cup
Nenagh AFC Youths played host to TSDL side Bansha Celtic and cruised to a four nil victory at the Brickfields venue. Ryan Gilmartin set Nenagh on their way with a converted penalty after four minutes of play. Nenagh should have extended their lead, however the visiting custodian was in fine form with a string of top drawer saves to leave a one nil advantage at the half time whistle. The Blues made it two nil ten minutes in to the second half when Alan Sheehan got on the end of a Dylan Walsh free kick to knock between the posts. Ben Banaghan stretched the lead to three after slotting to the net from an Alan Sheehan assist. Jordan Lewis turned in a man of the match performance for the hosts and capped it off with Nenagh’s fourth after being set through by Craig McDonald. 

Ricky Fogarty Cup
Cloughjordan ‘A’ and Rearcross ‘A’ clashed in this Ricky Fogarty Cup 1st round game in Cloughjordan where the home side shaded it by the odd goal in three. Michael Costello put Cloughjordan ahead in the 28th minute, however Greg Kennedy scored four minutes later to send the sides in level at break. A well contested second half saw Cloughjordan progress to the second round when Diarmuid Kennedy scored the all-important goal late in the game.

Barry Cup
Drombane was the venue for the meeting of Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ and Roscrea United ‘A’ with the away side progressing to the last eight on a slender one nil score line. Both sides had scoring chances early on, however it was the away team that took a one nil lead to the break when David McNamara scored a twenty yarder with two minutes remaining in the half. Mark Quinlan was unlucky not to bag an equalizer for the home team as Roscrea held out for a hard earned win.

Arra Rovers came through against Clonmore on a 2-1 score line in Portroe last Sunday to secure their place in the Barry Cup quarter finals. The visiting side took the lead in the 16th minute when Tommy Deegan back heeled to Ian Martin who finished with aplomb. Arra Rovers created the better chances after this and Clonmore were somewhat fortunate to be ahead at the half time whistle. Clonmore were then unlucky not to extend their lead early the second half, however Arra cleared their lines to avert the danger. The home team produced the goods after this and got back level with a John Dwyer goal in the 65th minute. Arra Rovers stayed on the front foot as Adam Hannon scored ten minutes from time to send the Portroe side through to the quarter final stages.

Nora Kennedy Cup
The winning ways continued for Streamstown Celtic in this Second Division Cup tie with a two nil win over Portumna Town last Sunday. Streamstown took an early lead in the 3rd minute when Chris Murphy headed home from a Gary Kenneally corner kick. Paul Doyle made the game safe with thirteen minutes after latching on to a clinical pass from Shane Moloney to clinch a place in the last eight.

Fast Food Kennedy Cup
A change of venue saw this Cup tie switched to Rearcross FC Grounds on Sunday morning where the home side suffered an extra time defeat to high flying Roscrea United ‘B’ on a 3-2 score line. The sides were locked on a nil all score line at the interval, however Roscrea opened their account in the 49th minute when a defensive mix up gifted Paul Brussells who slid the ball to the corner of the net from a tight angle. Worse was to follow for the green & whites as Roscrea went in to a two lead in the 54th minute after Paul Brussels was on the mark again with a good effort from the edge of the box. Rearcross got it back to the minimum with twelve minutes remaining after Darren Quigley was taken down on the left flank before Liam Nolan stepped up to send a smashing effort to the net clipping the inside of the upright in the process. Rearcross pegged it back level when Liam Ryan made no mistake after getting on the end of Liam Nolan’s free kick to nestle the ball in the corner of the net with a headed finish. Extra time ensued and it looked as if the game was heading for a penalty shootout, however Roscrea snatched a dramatic winner in the 106th minute when the ball broke to Gavin Loughnane from a corner kick who finished the ball between the posts from just outside the six yard box to clinch a hard earned win for the Third Division League leaders.

Noreside Celtic outplayed Holycross ‘B’ on a seven nil score line at the Montore venue to secure safe passage to the last eight of the Third Division League Cup. Tommy Porter and Ross O’Sullivan netted a brace apiece while Kieran O’Meara, Mick Costigan and Jason Quinlivan were also on the mark for the home side.

Premier Division League
BT Harps accounted for Moneygall on a four goals to nil score line in Templemore last Sunday. Christy Moore bagged a brace while Aidan Fogarty and Sean Paddy Guerins was also on the scoresheet for the winners.

Nenagh Celtic were at home to Lough Derg and emerged victorious on a three nil score line. Lough Derg put it up to the hosts in the opening half, however it remained scoreless at the break. The Hoops turned up the heat in the second period and tacked on three without reply through Danny Ryan, Mark Walsh and Sean Healy with the latter coming from the spot.

Sallypark made the journey to Thurles Greyhound Stadium and recorded a merited two nil result over Thurles Town. Willie Keogh set the visitors on their way with a well worked goal after five minutes of play. Thurles Town tried hard to get back in the game dominating for long spells in the process, however David Young wrapped it up for Sallypark after heading between the posts with twelve minutes remaining on the clock.

First Division League
Kilcommon trekked to Borrisokane for a First Division League tie against Borrisokane and were somewhat unlucky to lose out on a 4-3 score line. Borrisokane opened up a two nil lead with a Joe Gleeson spot kick following a foul on Gordon Hardin and then John Doyle prodded home following a defensive mix up. Kilcommon rallied towards the end of the half and pulled it back to the minimum when Andy O’Brien’s volleyed effort went all the way to the net on 43 minutes. It was all square on the hour mark when Brian Carr set up Eamon Naughton who made no mistake with a good strike. Borrisokane stepped it up again and went back in front when John Doyle got the final touch following a goalmouth scramble. The home side kept the pressure on and increased their advantage John Doyle completed his hat-trick with headed goal. Kilcommon didn’t throw in the towel and brought it back to the minimum with five minutes left to play when Paudie Ryan headed home from a Gary Ryan assist, however time ran out for the visitors as Borrisokane secured an important three points in the race for promotion.

Borroway Rovers and Ardcroney met in this First Division league fixture at the Loughtagalla venue on Sunday morning with the Thurles Club securing maximum points on a two nil score line. Ardcroney made the better start but were unable to breach a sold Borroway Rovers rearguard. The home side then edged ahead courtesy of a Stephen Browne goal midway through the half and should have further extended their lead before Sammy Ryan gave Borroway a two nil lead at the half time whistle with a well worked goal. Both sides had their moments in the second half, however it finished two nil in favour of the home side.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ claimed the plaudits over Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ on a 4-2 score line in this derby game played at Brickfields. Jordan Lewis was the key man for Nenagh AFC netting twice in the opening half before completing his hat-trick a minute after the resumption. Ciaran O’Reilly completed the rout for the Blues while Lee Mitchell and Eddie Shoer were the Nenagh Celtic scorers.

Second Division League
Ballymackey and Templetuohy played out a one all draw in Ballinree on Sunday afternoon. Timmy Fleming put the home side ahead with a headed goal on the hour mark, Templetuohy levelled it up with five minutes to go.

The meeting of Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ and Shannon Rangers in Drombane finished stalemate on a one all scoreline. Brian Carroll shot the home team ahead with a smashing free kick effort in the 24th minute. Chances fell to both sides after this with the Clodiagh Rangers net minder in fine form to keep Shannon Rangers at bay. The visitors snatched a late equalizer when Dermot Hogan’s corner kick was nodded on to Andy Austin who sent a looping header to the back of the net to leave it level at the full time whistle.

Third Division League
Gurtagarry and Lough Derg ‘B’ shared the spoils on a two all scoreline at the Latteragh venue. Gurtagarry took the lead after twenty minutes courtesy of a David Nolan strike, Mark McInerney levelled it up for Ballina/Killaloe side with twelve minutes remaining in the half. Donal Whelan shot the away side in front with a well taken goal on 65 minutes, however the home team upped the ante towards the end of the game hitting the cross bar in the process with fifteen left to play before snatching a deserved equalizer on 82 minutes when David Nolan bagged his second of the day.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ had too much firepower for Sallypark ‘B’ on a seven goals to nil winning margin last Sunday. The away outfit had opened up a four nil advantage at the midway stage and ran out comfortable winners in the second half. Dean O’Meara was the key man for Cloughjordan hitting five goals in the process while Eoin Hogan and Andy Brennan were also on the mark for the league title contenders.

Youths League
Clodiagh Rangers Youths were on their travels to play Lough Derg and plundered a 2-1 result over the home side. The Drombane side opened the scoring on the fifteen mark with a neat finish from Brendan Larkin. Lough Derg pegged it back level midway through the half when Jamie Stuart crashed the ball to the net following a pin point pass from Michael Hurley. Clodiagh should have restored their lead from the spot, however the effort was off target. Niall Grant edged the visitors back in front just before the break with a cracking strike from the edge of the box. Lough Derg applied most of the pressure in the second half, however Clodiagh Rangers dug deep to grind out a narrow win.

Nenagh VEC was the venue for the meeting of Nenagh Celtic Youths and Ballymackey Youths with the home side securing the win to open up a four point advantage at the top of the table. Ballymackey had taken a one nil lead when Denis Haverty scored with a low drive fifteen minutes in, however it was all square at the break courtesy of a superb free kick from Paul Walsh. It was end to end after the restart, however Paul Walsh shot the Hoops in front in the 74th minute with another smashing free kick effort. Ballymackey came back at the hosts and were unlucky not to draw level, however it was game, set and match on 88 minutes when Jamie Kelly set up Sean O’Meara who smashed home from ten yards to seal the win.

Rearcross welcomed Arra Rovers to Rearcross FC Grounds for this league tie on Saturday and secured maximum points on a two nil score line. It was one nil to the home side after Patrick Carey finished to the net from close range midway through the half. Both sides had chances to add to the score line after this with Patrick Coffey in the Rearcross goals turning in a fine display. Rearcross sealed the win with five minutes to go with a superb individual effort from Kevin Connolly who waltzed through the centre before dispatching to the corner of the net.

BT Harps kept the pressure on at the top of the First Division following a 4-2 win over Ardcroney last Saturday. Ardcroney hit the front early on when Andy Loughnane was on the mark, however Dylan Loughnane not to be outdone pegged it back level with a well worked goal. Dylan Loughnane kept the momentum going with his second of the outing to leave BT Harps ahead at the break. Ardcroney were on top at the start of the second half and drew level through Keelan Troy. The visitors got back on top with an influential Stevie Nolan dictating affairs before Jordan Murphy netted to put the visitors ahead. It was game, set and match when Jack Smith smashed the ball to the net from a corner kick to copper fasten the win for BT Harps.