• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 21st September

Compiled by Adrian Cooke

Munster Junior Cup
This seasons Munster Junior Cup kicked off with a number of preliminary matches which provided the shock of the season so far with Nenagh AFC ‘C’ overcoming Premier League outfit Sallypark ‘A’. It went all the way to extra time to separate the two sides but it was Nenagh who found the extra gear to win out 3 – 1 with goals from Dean Morrisey and a brace from Stevie Daly, which negated the earlier own goal conceded by the home side.

Drombane was the venue for Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ who entertained Borroway Rovers and it was the Premier League side that won out on a narrow 2 – 1 score line.  The game was scoreless at the interval but form striker Paul Doyle bagged a brace, the second from the spot and Clodiagh looked to be comfortable until a Sam Ryan effort from distance with 15 minutes left on the clock caused concern, but the home side held out to progress in the competition.

Premier Division

The league’s show piece this weekend was the highly anticipated Nenagh derby between Nenagh Celtic ‘A’ and Nenagh AFC ‘A’ at the VEC venue where both sides were keen to maintain their unbeaten league record for their current campaigns. The hosts took the lead from the penalty spot early in the game which Danny Ryan despatched with some style. The visitors drew level mid-way through the first half when Dan Dalton struck to continue his fine form in front of goal lately. There were no more goals in this lively affair which saw some great football and genuine chances missed at either end which ultimately ended honours even and both teams remain the only two sides unbeaten in the Premier League.

Lough Derg continue to struggle to get off the mark this season and faced a determined Cloughjordan ‘A’ side who have now won their last three games. The visitors saw Ger O’Brien and Javier Gomez both score twice with the solitary response for the home side coming from John O’Connor.

First Division
Glenbane was the scene of an epic contest between Division 1 new boys Holycross and Streamtown Celtic ‘A’ where top spot in the league was on offer as both sides were unbeaten before this game. Calum O’Connor was the difference between the two sides as it was his strike that separated the sides to put Holycross in the driving seat, but Streamstown will feel they left points behind them as they missed a number of guilt edged chances.

Ardcroney continue to get points on the board as they entertained Borrisokane ‘A’ and played out a thrilling 3 – 3 draw. The visitors took the lead through Colm Larkin early on but the game was soon level with Ian McSherry slotting home. Borrisokane took what appeared to be a hold of the game and went in at the break 3 – 1 after a brace from Joe Gleeson, one from the spot and the other a header. Ardcroney lifted the tempo in the second and were rewarded with a bullet header from Kevin Prout and guaranteed a point with a late penalty from Aidan Boyle. Arra Rovers fell afoul of Moneygall’s good form of late and were hit for four unanswered goals from Parlon, O’Meara and a brace from Troy to help their side into 5th place.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ continue to remain in the hunt as they overcame a determined Rearcross ‘A’ on a 4 – 3 score line. The Brickfield side exploded into the first half and were 4 – 1 up at the break with strikes from Alan Kelly, Shane O’Gorman, Tommy Martin and Alan Sheahan. Evan Glesson gave the Rearcross side a slim hope which they almost made a reality as John Ryan Luke bagged a brace in the second half to reduce the margin to the minimum, but the hosts held out for a hard earned three points.

Second Division
Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ will rue a slow start to their game with Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ as the visitors got an early two goal lead with strikes from Liam O’Meara and Brian Duffy. The Drombane side tried to get back in to game but were shut out by a strong Celtic defence who continue to move up the table of late.

Portumna Town continue to put themselves in a good position to contest for promotion with another well-deserved victory over guests Ballymackey ‘A’. Gary Hogan put the home side ahead just before half time only to see his effort cancelled out by a second half strike from David Fagan. Portumna left it late to seal the win with a quality effort from Garry Curran to put them second in the table behind BT Harps ‘B’ who overcame hosts

Cloughjordan ‘B’ in another of the weekends high scoring games. Cloughjordan took the lead through Dean O’Meara but the game was levelled when James Kavanagh struck. Again the hosts took the lead through Noddy Quinlan but saw Kavanagh level the tie for the second time. Just before the break, the hosts once again took the lead thanks to Andrew Brennan, but this time Willie Kavanagh levelled for the Templemore side to leave it 3 – 3 at half time. The second half only saw the single goal which went to the visitors after substitute Cathal Leahy pounced. However, Cloughjordan will rue a late missed penalty which was well saved by Eoin Brophy to help his side stay on top of the second division.

Division 3
Templetouhy played twice this week and took four points from a possible six to lift them from the bottom of the table. Firstly, Barnane were the visitors which were seen off on a 3 – 2 score line thanks to a brace from Liam Ryan and a third from Martin Kelly. Liam Ryan continued his fine form in the weeks second match against Shannon Rangers with another strike to make it 3 goals in two games as the sides played out an eight goal thriller which ended 4 – 4. Shane Ryan and Jamie Treacy also got in on the action for the visitors but the Ballinderry side also replied with four as Willie Cleary notched up a double along with strikes from teammates Brian Freeman and Keith Kelly to secure a point.

Ballymackey ‘B’ overcame Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ at home thanks to a 4 – 2 victory. The home side took the lead via a deflected effort from Willie Seymour. The Drombane levelled shortly afterwards through Pat Lacken only to see Seymour score again, this time with a quality strike from distance. Minutes before the interval the home side put some distance between them and Clodiagh as Michael Haverty got on the end of well taken corner. Clodiagh reduced the margin with Darragh Brennan in the 55th minute as he continues to find the net with relative ease of late but as the visitors pushed forward to level they were caught out on the counter attack as Ballymackey sealed the win with Martin Flynn returning the home side to winning ways.

Barnane made it two defeats in the week as they lost out to a free scoring Lough Derg ‘B’ on a 4 – 2 score line. Joe Lipton and Jerome Ryan netted for Barnane but goals from the boots of Jamie Stuart, Ethan Mowat, and Eric Monaghan with the assistance of an own goal helped move the Clarisford side into third position in the league.

Borrisokane ‘B’ continue to place pressure on league pace setters Gurtagarry with a determined home victory over Rearcross ‘B’ thanks to a two nil score line. Liam Dunne was on the mark in the first half and a Garry Ryan penalty in the second half made sure of all three points to keep Borrisokane in second place.

Gurtagarry continue to score freely as well as keeping clean sheets as they overcame Ballywilliam United on the road thanks to goals from Billy Corcoran and two superb free kicks from Ronan Kinane and Tom Hassett.

Sallypark ‘B’ welcomed Streamtown Celtic ‘B’ to Latteragh and clinically despatched their guests with a 4 nil win. Mark Dwyer and Paidi Ryan were in good form grabbing a goal each but were outdone by teammate Eugen Foley who scored twice to lift them above their opponents in the league table.

Youths Division 1
Last Saturday saw the Youths league campaigns kick off in earnest as teams are looking to dethrone a dominant Nenagh AFC Youths side, who incidentally were not in league action this weekend. Their rivals Nenagh Celtic Youths were on their travels for their first game of the season away to BT Harps Youths and returned home with a  share of spoils after playing out a 2 – 2 draw. The Templemore side raced into a two nil lead but a determined Celtic side rallied and were thankful to strikes from Jamie Kelly and Eddie Shoer to get their league campaign off the mark. Lough Derg Youths made easy work of an understrength Arra Rovers Youths side as they won out 5 nil thanks to a man of the match performance from Ethan Boyle who scored four for the home side, who also saw David O’Shea score to put them top of the league at this early stage.