• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 22nd September

ByGer Kennedy

Sep 23, 2013

Munster Junior Cup(1st Round)
Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ clashed with Moneygall in this first round game played in Moneygall with the visiting side securing safe passage on a 3-1 score line. The visitors took an early lead after Matt Ryan raced on to a clever pass from Paul Doyle before finishing with aplomb. Paul Doyle was in the action again before the break to set up Tommy Stevens who shot Clodiagh Rangers two nil ahead. Moneygall rallied at the start of the second half and pulled one back through Mark Walsh. The Drombane side picked it up again and left no back for Moneygall when Paul Doyle capped off a fine performance after steering a Garret Foxton cross to the back of the net to copper fasten the win.

BT Harps ‘A’ won out on a 4-1 score line over Streamstown at the Fanure venue, the Templemore side got the perfect start when James Kavanagh breached the Streamstown rear-guard with just two minutes gone, Declan Fogarty made it two nil on the half hour mark to leave BT Harps in control at the break. It was more of the same in the second half as Stefan Leahy got in on the act with a well taken goal. The visitors kept the pressure on as Aidan Fogarty stretched the lead to four. Streamstown got a consolation goal through Andy Golden ten minutes from time.

BT Harps ‘B’ welcomed Portumna Town to Templemore for this Munster Junior Cup tie and advanced to the second round on a two nil score line over the Galway side. The hosts took the lead on the stroke of half time thanks to a Paul Touhy strike, an in form Paul Touhy made it two nil with a well worked goal twenty minutes in to the second period. Portumna Town rued not converting from the spot when they trailed on a one nil score line, however BT Harps custodian Dean Loughnane made a superb save and was in the action with another top drawer save from a free kick late in the game.

This all Roscrea United affair saw Roscrea ‘A’ defeat Roscrea ‘B’ on a 3-1 score line, a double hit from Paul Kirwan and David McNamara in a five minute spell midway through the opening half gave the First Division league contenders a half time lead. Martin Harty reduced the deficit five minutes in to the second period, but Paul Kirwan restored the two goal cushion fifteen minutes from time which was enough to secure progression to the second round.

Lough Derg ‘A’ were on their travels to Thurles for this Munster Junior Cup fixture against Borroway Rovers and progressed to the next round by the odd goal in three. Chris Monaghan scored the opener for Lough Derg after two minutes, Damien Grimes brought it back level in the 65th minute, Borroway had a their chances after this to go in front and paid the price when Dermot McCarthy bagged the winner for the away side five minutes from time.

Islandbawn was the venue for the meeting of Nenagh AFC ‘B’ and Ballymackey with the Nenagh side coming out on top with a score line of five goals to two. The sides were tied on two apiece at the half time whistle with goals from Willie Darcy and Shane O’Gorman giving the Nenagh side a two nil lead, however Timmy Fleming and Kevin Mounsey pegged it back level for the Ballinree side. Nenagh AFC turned up the heat in the second half and netted three without reply through Oísin Fitzpatrick, Tommy Martin and Trevor Morrissey to seal the win.

Nenagh Celtic ‘A’ cruised in to the second round of the Munster Junior Cup with a 4-1 result against Borrisokane ‘A’ at the away venue, the Nenagh Celtic sharpshooters were Craig Connolly, Danny Ryan, Enrico Casey and Jamie Kelly while Borrisokane’s lone reply came from John Doyle

Cloughjordan ‘A’ prevailed over Clonmore on a 6-1 score line to secure their place in the second round on Saturday evening. Clonmore opened the scoring in the 5th minute courtesy of a Peter Maher goal, however the lead was short lived as the home side equalized a minute later through Ger O’Brien. It was one way traffic more or less after this as Cloughjordan tacked on five without reply, Darren Killackey was on the mark twice while Kevin Quinlan, Eoin Hogan and Michael Cleary were also on the score sheet.

Rearcross ‘A’ progressed to the second round of the Munster Junior Cup with a facile 7-1 result over Sallypark ‘B’ at Rearcross FC Grounds on Saturday evening with all goals coming in the opening half. Tommy Ryan Luke set the home side on their way with just 45 seconds gone, Eamonn Devitt made it two nil with a lobbed effort on eight minutes. The home side were three up in as many minutes after Kieran Devitt prodded over the line. The visitors pulled a goal back when Jack O’Donnell headed home from a corner kick. It was 4-1 to the hosts on 21 minutes with a headed finish from Diarmuid Sheehy and the Mark Hogan scored the goal of the tie with a fine solo effort two minutes later. A double assist from Sean Sheehy saw the first delivery set up Greg Kennedy who knocked over the line from close range on 41 minutes and then Derek O’Toole headed home from inside the six yard box with two minutes to play in the half. The second period was a more even affair, although Sallypark will rue two missed penalty opportunities after Jim Caplis saved the first effort while the second effort was over the bar.

Nenagh AFC ‘A’ had too much strength in depth for Arra Rovers at Brickfields last Sunday. The Premier Division league leaders enjoyed a 4-1 lead at the midway stage thanks to a double hit from Padraig Ryan which was complemented with strikes from Paul Kelly and Arthur Mitchell while the Arra Rovers response came from Kevin O’Halloran. It was one way traffic in the second period as Ryan Gilmartin hit four on the trot, Arthur Mitchell and Roy Creagh completed the rout the home side.

Thurles Town and Sallypark ‘A’ met in this Munster Junior game at Thurles Greyhound Stadium with the home team powering their way to a high scoring win against a visiting side which received two red cards inside the opening fifteen minutes which killed the game as a contest. The Thurles Town scorers were Padraig Fogarty, Robbie Jordan, Tom Brophy, Tom Kirby, Jamie O’Connor, Aiden Croke and Tom Tierney

First Division League
Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ emerged victorious over Kilcommon in a nine goal thriller played at Nenagh VEC on Sunday morning, the sides were tied on a one all scoreline at the midway stage, however the Hoops went one better in the second half to take the points on a 5-4 score line. Eddie Shoer pounced for a brace while Andy Nevin, JP O’Brien and Sean Healy were also on the mark for the winners. The Kilcommon goal getters were Brian Carr, Eamon Naughton and Rob Crowe while Paudie Carr made up the tally with a converted penalty.

Second Division League
Nenagh AFC ‘C’ had too much firepower for Templetuohy on a six nil score line last Sunday at the Killoran Park venue. The visiting side were two goals to the good at the break with strikes from Mikey Duff and Dean Morrissey. Nenagh AFC kept the pressure on in the second half and tagged on four more without reply with Paul Aherne, Conor Kirwan and John Kinsella amongst the scorers before Dean Morrissey completed the scoring with his second of the outing.

Third Division League
Rearcross ‘B’ picked up their first league win of the campaign with a 4-1 home victory over Nenagh Celtic ‘C’. The visiting side held a one nil lead at the break thanks to a Jamie Kennedy goal. The woodwork denied the home side two minutes before the break when Theo English’s long range effort came off the crossbar. Rearcross upped the ante in the second half and got back level when James Deegan’s free kick went all the way to the net. PJ McLoughlin edged the home side ahead with a fine finish. Rearcross stayed on the offensive as PJ McLoughlin bagged his second of the outing with nineteen minutes to go. The home side wrapped it up in stoppage time with the move of the game when Paul McGrath threaded through to James Deegan who pulled back to Martin Pierce to head home from close range.

Noreside Celtic were 2-1 away winners over Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ in Drombane on Sunday afternoon. The first half finished in a scoreless stalemate situation, but the visitors were fast out of the traps in the second half and went ahead two minutes in after Tommy Porter rattled the net, Pierce Ryan pegged it back level for the Drombane side, however Kieran O’Meara snatched maximum points for Noreside with the winner two minutes from time.

The meeting of Lough Derg ‘B’ and Borrisokane ‘B’ produced ten goals with the Ballina / Killaloe side faring better in the scoring stakes on a 6-4 score line. An in form Kieran Stritch netted a hat-trick for the winners while Noel McInerney, John Madden and Jason Monaghan were also amongst the scorers. The Borrisokane marksmen were Darren Molloy, Gary Ryan, Michael Comerford and David Nevin who scored from the spot.

Youths League
Lough Derg Youths welcomed Rearcross Youths to Clarisford Park for this Youths League game and claimed the plaudits with a 2-1 win over the visiting side. The home side hit the front midway through the opening half when Thomas Conway drove between the posts. The Lough Derg lead was doubled eight minutes in to the second half after Seamus Monaghan sent a low effort whizzing to the back of the net. Rearcross were back in the tie when Evan Gleeson got on the end of Dylan Ryan’s corner kick to ram to the roof of the net. The green & whites had chances to draw level, however the home side held out to secure the win.

Nenagh AFC Youths had too much strength for Nenagh Celtic Youths on an 8-1 score line last Saturday at Nenagh VEC. The Brickfields side netted five first half goals to finish the tie as a contest, Ben Banaghan helped himself to a hat-trick, Dylan Walsh chipped in with a brace while Ryan Gilmartin, Birindar Singh and a stunning free from Ciaran O’Reilly, the Nenagh Celtic consolation goal was scored by Jamie Kelly.

FAI U-17 Cup
Nenagh AFC came through against Ballymackey on a narrow 3-2 score line at the Ballinree venue. The Blues raced in to a two nil lead thanks to a double hit from Kevin Ryan. Ballymackey brought it back to the minimum after Tommy Teer hit the target. Nenagh responded when Cian Darcy scored with a brilliant left footed strike. Ballymackey kept plugging and Gearoid Murphy set up a hectic finish with a cracking goal from all of thirty yards, however Nenagh AFC held out for the win in the remaining minutes.