• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 23rd February

FAI Youths Cup
Nenagh AFC Youths cruised in to the last eight of the FAI Youths Cup with an emphatic 5-1 over Drogheda Town at the Brickfields venue last Saturday afternoon. The Blues hit the front on four minutes after a flowing move saw Ben Banaghan break through on the left before unselfishly squaring to Ryan Gilmartin who finished from close range. Nenagh’s aerial dominance at the back was a telling factor and a headed clearance on 27 minutes initiated a move which culminated in Ryan Gilmartin being bundled off the ball outside the box. Ciaran O’Reilly stepped up to send a bullet of a free kick to the back of the net. Nenagh stretched it to three on the stroke of half time after Cian Darcy produced the trickery on the right before pulling back to an in running Ryan Gilmartin whose effort rattled the inside of the post before nestling in the net. It looked as if the game was over as a contest at half time whistle, however Drogheda were given a lifeline three minutes in to the second half when Tom Reilly’s in-swinging free kick from out near the side line broke in the danger area, hesitancy prevailed as a luckless Ciaran Spillane handled in front of goal and was given his marching orders as a result. Tom O’Reilly stepped up to convert from the spot despite the best efforts of Ciaran Fitzpatrick who got his fingertips to the ball. Nenagh resumed control after this and left no way back for the away side with twenty four minutes remaining when good approach play involving Ben Banaghan and Ryan Gilmartin saw the ball break to the Dylan Walsh outside the area who sent a low whizzing effort to the corner of the net skimming the upright in the process. The Drogheda Town custodian was in the action again towards the end of tie, however Nenagh AFC copper fastened a comfortable win in the 91st minute when Alan Sheehan set up Ben Banaghan who knocked home from in front of goal to seal a place in the Quarter Finals.

Munster Junior Cup
Nenagh AFC travelled to Limerick for a Munster Junior Cup clash against Ballynanty Rovers and were denied a place in the eight after losing out following a sudden death penalty shootout. The sides were scoreless at the end of the ninety minutes, although Arron Savage kept Nenagh in the game after saving from the spot six minutes from time. Nenagh also had their chances during normal time but were unable to hit the target. Extra time failed to produce a winner so it was down the penalty shootout to decide the outcome where the NT&DL side lost out on a 4-3 scoreline. Aaron Savage was again to the fore for Nenagh AFC saving twice in the shootout. The Ballynanty Rovers sharpshooters were David Dunphy, Darragh Hughes, Dermot Fitzgerald and Jamie Brommel while Mark McKenna, Mark Cahill and Nathan Kelly converted for the visitors.