• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 24th November

ByGer Kennedy

Nov 26, 2013

FAI Junior Cup
Thurles Town came through a penalty shootout against Waterford side Lismore AFC at Thurles Greyhound Stadium to secure their place in the last 64 of the FAI Junior Cup. Jamie O’Connor shot Thurles ahead on 26 minutes, however the visitors got back level before the break when Maurice Shanahan rattled the net with a headed goal. Lismore raced in to the lead in the 63rd minute when Kieran Hayes converted from the spot. The NT&DL outfit got back level after Robbie Jordan headed home with fifteen minutes remaining. Extra time failed to produce a winner so it was down to the penalty shootout to decide the outcome where Thurles progressed on a 3-2 score line and had their target men in Eoin Dorney, Jamie O’Connor and Robbie Jordan while Kieran Hayes and Brendan Landers converted for Lismore AFC. Thurles Town goalkeeper Davy Coppinger was the key man for Thurles with two superb saves in the shootout.

Borroway Rovers were no match for St Michaels in this floodlit FAI Junior Cup game played at Cooke Park on Saturday evening. The TSDL side had their scorers in James Walsh, Chris Higgins, Colin Bargary, Shane McGrath, Richard Ryan, Jimmy Carr, Pat Quinn, Russell Quirke and Michael Buckley while the Borroway Rovers lone reply came from Damien Grimes.

Premier Division League
Cloughjordan played host to Nenagh Celtic in this Premier League fixture played in Cloughjordan with the sides finishing level on a two all score line. Kevin Kennedy edged the home team ahead midway through the opening half with a well taken goal. Nenagh Celtic turned up the heat in the second period and took up a 2-1 lead with finishes from Christy Ryan and Enrico Casey. It looked as if the Hoops were going to grind out the away win, however Andy Brennan bagged a dramatic equalizer for Cloughjordan in the 90th minute.

Sallypark trekked to Templemore for this Premier League encounter against BT Harps and pounced for a late equalizer to earn an away point after a hard fought game. The visiting side were first to score when Tosh Manicle obliged on the ten minute mark. BT Harps took a 2-1 lead to break with goals from Chris Eid and Jack Moore. The second half was also a lively affair as David Young drew Sallypark level with a well worked goal. Aidan Fogarty edged the home side back in front, however Sallypark kept plugging and drew level again when David Young was on the mark for a second time, Sallypark might have snatched a later winner, however it finished level at the full time whistle.

Lough Derg took full points against Moneygall by the odd goal in three last Sunday. Moneygall had taken a one nil lead when Tadgh Kennedy scored from the spot, however the Lakers got back level courtesy of a Mates Veselka strike. Seamus Monaghan who turned in a man of the match performance for the home side grabbed the all-important goal with a thirty yard free kick which was enough to seal the win for Lough Derg.

Nenagh AFC made light work of their trip to Rearcross on Saturday evening emerging victorious over the home side on a six goals to nil score line with three goals coming either side of half time. Ryan Gilmartin opened the scoring with a goal from a free kick, Mark McKenna’s converted penalty doubled the tally and then Bryan McGee finished with a clinical header to leave Nenagh AFC in control at the break. Rearcross gifted the visitors with two own goals before Roy Creagh completed the rout late on for the League leaders.

First Division League
Nenagh AFC ‘B’ were 3-1 winners over Arra Rovers in Islandbawn last Sunday morning. The Blues scored three on trot through Jahar Singh, Oísin Fitzpatrick and Trevor Morrissey before John Sheehy scored a consolation goal for the Portroe side with a well taken free kick ten minutes from time.

The winning ways continued for Roscrea United ‘A’ following a 3-1 result over Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ in Nenagh last Sunday, however the league leaders didn’t get it all their own way after taking an early lead when David McNamara broke the offside trap to finish between the posts. Paul Kirwan doubled the Roscrea tally midway through the half, however the Hoops got on top after this and pegged it back to the minimum before the break thanks to a Robbie Fogarty goal. Nenagh Celtic dominated for long spells in the second period and were unlucky not to get it back level, however Roscrea sprung the changes from the bench and copper fastened the win on the 80 minute mark when John Pio found the target.

Clonmore claimed the plaudits over Kilcommon on a three goals to one score line. The open exchanges were evenly shared, however Tommy Fahy headed Clonmore in front on 27 minutes. Tom Keane netted an equalizer for the visitors just before the break with a superb finish from a Leo Ryan assist. Kilcommon piled on the pressure after the resumption as Stephen Coonan denied the away side with a goal line clearance. Tommy Fahy edged Clonmore ahead with another headed goal and then Tommy Fahy rounded off his hat-trick late on with a nicely taken goal.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ remain in the hunt for promotion following a 3-2 home win over Borrisokane ‘A’. The Drombane side laid the foundation in the opening half hitting the visitors for three in succession with the first coming from Shane O’Dwyer who slammed home from the edge of the area. It was two nil when an in form Mark Quinlan turned a Denis McCullagh cross to the net. Next up was Paul Doyle who converted from the spot to leave Clodiagh with a comfortable lead at the midway stage. Borrisokane rallied after the interval and pulled it back to the minimum, however Clodiagh Rangers dug deep after this to hold out for the win.

Second Division League
Streamstown kept the pressure on at the top of the table following a merited 4-1 result over Ballymackey in Ballinree. The League title contenders signalled intent after nine minutes when Wally Kirwan latched on to a Chris Murphy pass before slotting to the back of the net with aplomb. Ballymackey got back on par in the 60th minute when Timmy Fleming scored following a one on one with the visiting custodian. Streamstown responded immediately and restored their lead a minute later when Paul Doyle connected with a Derek Halpin cross. Shane Moloney made it 3-1 with eighteen minutes left to play after poking home from close range. Paul Doyle wrapped it up for the table toppers with an opportunist goal near the end.

Templetuohy and Portumna Town clashed in this league fixture at the Killoran Park venue and played out a scoreless draw. Both sets of defences dominated throughout with the home side unlucky not to snatch maximum points on the day.

Third Division League
Borrisokane ‘B’ accounted for Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ on a two nil score line in Drombane on Sunday morning. It looked as if outcome was going to finish in a stalemate situation, however the away side opened their account in the 88th minute when Ian Quigley’s long kick out broke to Kieran Fox who put the ball in the back of the Clodiagh net. Liam Dunne stepped in to the action a minute later to make it two nil to clinch a dramatic win for Borrisokane.

Roscrea Utd ‘B’ were on their travels to Rearcross last Sunday and made the trip worthwhile with a five nil victory over Rearcross ‘B’. Roscrea made the early incisions and opened their account five minutes in when Chris Conlon got on the end of a delivery from the right to send a low drive whizzing to the back of the net. The hosts got off to the worst possible start in the second half when a move down the right saw Martin Loughnane finish from inside the six yard box. Roscrea stretched it to three after Chris Conlon broke through the centre to slip the ball between the posts. It was four nil to the visitors in the 88th minute when Paul Brussells headed to the corner of the net and then Paul Brussells wrapped it up for the league leaders in the sixth minute of injury time after finishing to the net when the ball broke from a corner kick.

Youths League
Nenagh VEC hosted the meeting of Nenagh Celtic Youths and Rearcross Youths last Saturday with a share of the spoils on a two all score line the final outcome. Jamie Kelly gave Nenagh Celtic the lead midway through the half with a spectacular volleyed effort from inside the box and then Paul Walsh made it two nil with a headed goal. Rearcross got back level before the break courtesy of an Evan Gleeson strike. It was end to end in the second period with Rearcross getting a deserved equalizer midway through the half when Evan Gleeson netted his second of the day, both sides had chances to snatch a winner but a draw was deemed a fair result on the day.

Ballymackey Youths were comprehensive 5-2 winners over Ardcroney in Ballinree on Saturday. Tommy Teer set Ballymackey on their way after three minutes of play, Tommy Teer was on target again ten minutes in to the second half, however Ardcroney pulled a goal back minutes later. Gearoid Murphy restored the Ballymackey advantage with a goal from the spot. The visitors regrouped again and made it 3-2 with a good effort. A strong finish from Ballymackey saw Gearoid Murphy complete his hat-trick with a two quick fire goals in the final ten minutes.

Nenagh AFC Youths had too much strength in depth for Lough Derg last Saturday and had their scorers in Dylan Walsh, Alan Sheehan, Ryan Gilmartin, Anton Provotorov, Francis Munsterberg and Paul Dwan