• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 27th October

ByGer Kennedy

Oct 29, 2013

Premier Division League
Nenagh AFC made it six wins from six outings following this 3-1 victory over BT Harps in Islandbawn last Sunday. The home team were first to score with a Ryan Gilmartin strike from a Ben Banaghan through ball after six minutes of play. Sean McCormack brought it back level for the Templemore side on the stroke of half time. Mark McKenna made it 2-1 with a headed goal from a corner kick to leave BT Harps chasing the game. Ryan Gilmartin netted his second of the day in the 85th minute to seal the win for Nenagh AFC.

Cloughjordan won out over Rearcross on a 3-1 scoreline at the away venue last Friday evening. Darren Killackey hit the opener for the visitors in the 5th minute, however Matthew Ryan Luke crashed home an equalizer for Rearcross to leave it tied on a goal apiece at the midway stage. Cloughjordan held the upper hand in the second period and went ahead again with a Michael Costello goal. Dean O’Meara made sure of the win ten minutes from time with an opportunist strike.

Ballingrawn was the venue for this Premier league clash between Moneygall and Nenagh Celtic where the visiting side claimed maximum points on a 4-2 score line. Mark Walsh and Enrico Casey bagged a brace apiece for the winners while Dwayne Collison and Michael Parlon were the Moneygall goal getters.

Lough Derg welcomed Sallypark to Killaloe for a Premier league fixture and emerged 2-1 winners over the visiting side in difficult weather conditions. Rob Cassidy set the home side on their way after ten minutes with a smashing effort, however Eoin Ryan equalized for Sallypark with a cool finish from the spot. The Ballina / Killaloe side resumed control and took a 2-1 advantage to the break after Jason Comley got in to finish between the posts. It was stalemate in the second half as Lough Derg held out for a narrow win.

First Division League
Loughtagalla Park was the setting for this First Division League thriller between Borroway Rovers and Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ with a three all draw the final outcome. Played in gale force conditions, Borroway Rovers were first to score against the wind when Damien Grimes rattled the net after eight minutes of play. Clodiagh Rangers took over after this and equalized straight from the resulting kick off when James Murray and Ger Grant combined to set up Mark Quinlan who buried the ball from the edge of the area. Mark Quinlan was in the action again minutes later with a well-placed free kick to give the visitors a 2-1 lead. The Drombane side continued to press and went in at half time with a 3-1 advantage when Paul Doyle’s effort was well saved, however Ger Grant followed through to tap between the posts. Borroway got back level on the hour mark when Damien Troy was on the mark. Both sides had chances after this, however Al O’Brien bagged a late equalizer for the Thurles side and then it took a fine save by the Clodiagh custodian to deny Damien Troy deep in to stoppage time.

Ardcroney and Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ played out a two all draw at a blustery Ardcroney venue on Sunday morning with all four goals coming in the opening half. The hosts hit the front in the 5th minute when Pat McLoughney scored from a tight angle. The lead was short lived however as the Hoops responded with a Seanie Tanner free kick effort. Nenagh Celtic edged ahead midway through the half with a well taken goal from Kieran Duffy. The sides were tied at the midway stage after Garry Curran breached the Celtic rearguard to level matters. Both sides had chances in the second half but failed to add to their tally so it finished 2-2 at the full time whistle.

Brickfields hosted the meeting of Clonmore and Nenagh AFC ‘B’ last Sunday with the Blues securing full points on a 3-1 score line. Trevor Morrissey netting the opening goal for Nenagh in the seventh minute. Clonmore fought back and drew level with a Tommy Deegan finish on the half hour mark. Chris Ryan restored the Nenagh advantage three minutes later following good play through the centre. Clonmore took the game to Nenagh for long spells and were unlucky not to bag an equalizer, however Nenagh AFC broke on a counter attack with four minutes remaining, forcing the concession of a penalty in the process, Trevor Morrissey stepped to convert with aplomb to copper fasten the win for the home side.

Second Division League
Portumna Town and Shannon Rangers shared the spoils on a three all score line in this league fixture played in Lorrha on Sunday morning. The visitors made a flying start but had to wait until midway through the half for the opener when Sean Moran and Willie Cleary combined on the right before releasing Dermot Hogan through on goal who scored with a superb finish. Dermot Hogan turned provider minutes later after setting up debutant Andy Austin who fired home from close range. Portumna pulled it back to the minimum ten minutes before the break when Terry McDonnell scored from the spot after visitors were reduced to ten men. The Galway side took up the running after the restart and pulled in back level three minutes in when Conor Duggan obliged. It was an end to end affair, however the home side were next to score when Terry McDonald converted his second of the outing from the spot. Shannon Rangers upped the ante in the final fifteen and snatched the equalizer in the 82nd minute when Dermot Hogan was fastest to react before rifling to the back of the net to leave it all square at the full time whistle.

Ballymackey travelled to Drombane for this Second Division league game and plundered a 4-3 result against Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’. Alan Kenneally was on hand to net the opener for Ballymackey after ten minutes, Timmy Fleming added to the visitor’s tally with a well worked goal. Clodiagh Rangers came storming back and pegged it back level with finishes from Gary Donnelly and Ailbe O’Donoghue to leave it deadlocked at the half time break. An in form Alan Kenneally bagged his second of the afternoon on the hour mark and completed his hat-trick with a well taken free kick to give Ballymackey a 4-2 advantage. A tense finish ensued when Paul Shanahan brought it back to the minimum, however the Ballinree outfit dug deep to grind out the win.

BT Harps ‘B’ accounted for Templetuohy on a 2-1 score line at the Killoran Park venue last Sunday morning. The Templemore side enjoyed a one nil lead at the midway stage courtesy of a David Fennell strike. It was two nil to the away side on the sixty minute mark when David Fennell notched up his second of the day. The home side pulled one back through Pakie O’Leary, however it was a case of too little too late on this occasion.

Holycross ‘A’ and Streamstown clashed in this top of the table clash with Holycross claiming the plaudits on a 4-2 scoreline. The Glenbane side led 2-1 at the break with goals from Colin O’Meara and Kyle Denny in the 3rd and 35th minute respectively. Further goals from Jojo O’Meara and Dinny Ferncombe gave Holycross a comfortable win on the day to narrow the gap at the top of the table.

Third Division League
Gurtagarry and Rearcross ‘B’ met in this league tie at the Latteragh venue where the home side shaded it on a slender one nil score line. Michael Ryan scored the all-important goal for Gurtagarry sixteen minutes before half time. Rearcross tried hard to get back in to the game but were thwarted by a resolute defensive performance from the home side.

Lough Derg ‘B’ prevailed over Holycross ‘B’ in Glenbane last Sunday afternoon. The sides were scoreless at the break, however the visitors turned up the heat in the second half and went ahead on 54 minutes with a well worked goal from Keith Conway. Holycross battled to get back on par but were dealt a succour blow with six minutes remaining when Noel McInerney wrapped it up for the Ballina/Killaloe side.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ were 5-3 winners over Sallypark ‘B’ last Sunday in Cloughjordan. The Sallypark goalscorers were Damien Brady, Mattie Stapleton and Leo McKenna.

Youths League
Nenagh AFC Youths were the visitors to Drombane for this league encounter against Clodiagh Rangers and took full points on an 8-3 score line. The Nenagh AFC marksmen were Patrick O’Sullivan, Birindar Singh and Stevie Daly who all netted a brace apiece while Ciaran O’Reilly and Dylan Walsh were also on the mark. Robbie Long, Paul Kennedy and Niall Grant scored the Clodiagh Rangers goals.

Munster Youths Cup
Ballymackey Youths made the journey to Clonmel to play Clonmel Celtic in the Munster Youths Cup and ran the TSDL side close before losing out by the odd goal in seven. The Ballinree side got off to a flyer when Tommy Teer opened the scoring with a long range effort and then Tommy Teer made it two nil with a close range tap in from a corner kick midway through the half. Clonmel Celtic pulled one back before the break and drew level five minutes in to the second half. Clonmel dominated for long spells after this hitting the visitors for two more in the process. The NT&DL side didn’t throw in the towel and brought it back to the minimum five minutes from time when Gearoid Murphy scored from the spot and were somewhat unlucky in the end not to force extra time.