• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 30th March

ByGer Kennedy

Apr 1, 2014

FAI Umbro U-17 Cup
Nenagh AFC U-17’s faced a difficult assignment with an away semi-final fixture against Cork side Leeds and bowed out of the competition on a two nil scoreline. Nenagh AFC were unlucky not to edge ahead on the twenty minute mark, but the hosts took the lead five minutes later through Eric Murphy. The NT&DL side pressed early in the second half but were unable to get the breakthrough their effort deserved and were left with an uphill battle in the 51st minute when Tristan Foley netted a second for Leeds. The Brickfields Club battled gallantly to get back in to the tie but met stiff resistance from a well drilled Cork team, best for Nenagh AFC on the day were David Kelly and Josh McCarthy.

Premier Division League
BT Harps were 5-1 away winners over Lough Derg on Sunday morning. The Templemore side led 3-1 at the midway stage thanks to strikes from Killian O’Neill, Christy Moore and Sean McCormack with the latter coming from the spot. The Lough Derg response came from John O’Connor. BT Harps were on top again in the second half and closed out the result with a Johnny Doran brace.

Moneygall emerged victorious over Sallypark on a narrow 2-1 scoreline last Sunday. The Moneygall goal getters were Tadgh Kennedy and Brian Delaney while Tom Seymour netted the lone reply for the home side.

Thurles Town were at home to Cloughjordan and won out on a two nil score line. A well contested game throughout saw Padraig Fogarty set Thurles Town on their way with a well worked goal five minutes in to the game. Pat Lawlor made it two nil on 76 minutes to leave no way back for Cloughjordan on this occasion.

First Division League
Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ remain in the hunt for promotion following a spirited 3-1 win over Ardcroney at the away venue. Clodiagh Rangers were one up at the break after Paul Doyle obliged and were denied a second after failing to convert from the spot. James Murray powered home a headed effort to give the visiting side a two nil advantage. Ardcroney rallied somewhat and reduced the deficit when Dave Slattery rattled the net with a headed goal. The hosts pushed for an equalizer but were caught on a counter attack when John Ryan restored the two goal cushion for the Drombane outfit securing a vital three points in the process.

Second Division League
Holycross ‘A’ defeated Shannon Rangers on a 3-2 score line in Ballinderry last Sunday. The home side were one up at the break courtesy of a Sean Moran finish, however Callum O’Connor pegged it back level for the Glenbane side with a cool finish. Shannon Rangers pressed again and restored their advantage through Brian Hourigan. Holycross produced a strong finish and brought it back level with an unstoppable drive from Jason O’Brien coming in the 85th minute. Seanie Comerford snatched a late winner for the visitors after getting on the end of a Shane Maher cross to slot home from close range with seconds remaining.

Third Division League
Roscrea United ‘B’ had to battle all the way to secure maximum points against Gurtagarry. The visiting side raced ahead in the 21st minute courtesy of a Paddy O’Rourke strike, however it was all square at the break after Chris Conlon scored on 39 minutes. Gurtagarry went ahead again ten minutes in to the second half when Billy Corcoran breached the Roscrea rearguard, however the league leaders turned up the heat towards the end of the game and got back on par sixteen minutes from time when Thomas O’Brien was on the mark and then Martin Harty wrapped it up for Roscrea with a well taken goal in the 88th minute.

Sallypark ‘B’ and Borrisokane ‘B’ met in this league tie played in Sallypark with the home team claiming the win on a comprehensive five nil score line. A brace of penalties from Paudie Ryan gave Sallypark a two nil lead at the half time whistle. Paudie Ryan went on complete his hat-trick with another goal from the spot early in the second half, Paddy Shanahan and Mattie Stapleton completed the rout for the winners.

NT&DL Tipperary Cup
Portroe was the venue for this Cup fixture between Arra Rovers and Streamstown Celtic with the visiting side claiming the win on a 4-3 score line. Arra Rovers had taken a two nil lead with finishes from Colm O’Riordan and Dermot O’Halloran before Gary Kenneally brought it back to the minimum for the away side with a converted penalty on 29 minutes. Arra Rovers conceded an own goal to leave it level on a two all scoreline. Graeme Ploughman hit the target to give Streamstown a 3-2 advantage, however Arra Rovers were back in the fray after Stephen O’Brien levelled it up. It looked as if the tie was heading for extra time, however Wally Kirwan popped up five minutes from time to crash home a dramatic winner for Streamstown.

Roscrea United ‘A’ progressed to the 3rd round with a convincing 6-1 win over Noreside Celtic at the Kennedy Park venue on Sunday morning. The Roscrea sharpshooters were Paul Kirwan who netted a hat-trick, Robbie Ryan chipped in with a brace while John Pio Fitzpatrick made up the tally for the home side.

Nenagh AFC ‘A’ recorded a facile eight nil win over Borroway Rovers to book their place in the Quarter Finals of the Tipperary Cup and had their scorers in Arthur Mitchell who notched up a hat-trick, Ben Banaghan, Alan Sheehan, Roy Creagh, Nathan Kelly and Cathal Coonan were also on the scoresheet for the Brickfields side.

Youths League
Nenagh Celtic Youths won out by the odd goal in nine over Lough Derg last Saturday, Jamie Kelly and Paul Walsh netted a brace a piece while Paul O’Sullivan was also on target for the Hoops. Jamie Stuart produced a man of the match performance for Lough Derg netting four goals in the process.