• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review – Sunday 28th July

ByGer Kennedy

Aug 2, 2013

Premier Division Shield
BT Harps progressed to the semi-final stages of the Premier Shield with a one nil win over Rearcross in Templemore on Wednesday evening. The home side enjoyed the better of the exchanges in the opening half, but had to wait until the 45th minute to open their account when Aidan Fogarty stroked home from close range. Rearcross enjoyed their fair share of possession in the second half but were unable to breach a solid BT Harps rear guard which held firm to the end.

Lough Derg had too much firepower for Sallypark in this Premier Division Shield semi-final played in Sallypark on a 5-3 score line. Damien McCarthy helped himself to a hat-trick while Jason O’Brien and Jamie Stuart were also on the mark for the winners. Goals from Conor Foley, Brian Freeman and a Gearoid Connors made up the Sallypark tally.

BT Harps romped to a three nil victory over Moneygall in Templemore last Sunday to book their place in the Premier Division Shield decider. Jerome Ryan set the home side on their way with a well worked goal in the fifth minute, Christy Moore then made it two nil five minutes in to the second half before James Kavanagh wrapped it up twenty minutes from time to copper fasten the win.

First Division Shield
Borroway Rovers chalked up a big score line against Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ on a 6-3 score line, Damien Grimes bagged a brace while Seamus Woodlock, Keith Moore, Pawel Konik and John Callinan were also on target for the Thurles side. The Nenagh Celtic goal getters were Davie Walsh, Sean Kevin and Tadgh McCarthy.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ made a winning start to the new campaign with a comprehensive seven nil win over an understrength Clonmore outfit in Nenagh on Wednesday evening to secure a place in the Quarter Finals of the First Division Shield. The Brickfields outfit laid the foundation in the opening half after hitting the visiting side for five with Tommy Martin on the mark twice while Willie Darcy, Berinder Singh and Peter Ryan were also on target. It was one way traffic more or less in the second half as Tommy Mitchell made it six nil before Tommy Martin capped off his hat-trick with a well taken goal.

Borroway Rovers secured passage to the semi-final stages of the First Division Shield after recovering a two goal deficit against Kilcommon to win out by the odd goal in five at the Kilcommon venue. Tom Keane put Kilcommon ahead with a fine strike from the edge of the box. It was two nil to the home side after Leo Ryan scored direct from a corner kick midway through the half. Borroway Rovers upped the ante in the second half as Damien Grimes brought it back to the minimum five minutes after the re-start. It was end to end after this and it looked as if Kilcommon might hold out for the win, however Michael Doyle banged home the leveler in the 86th minute and then Padraig Wade crashed home a dramatic winner two minutes from time.

Borrisokane ‘A’ welcomed Nenagh AFC ‘B’ to Borrisokane for this last eight game but lost out on a 3-1 score line to the visiting side. Danny Butler put the home side ahead on the half hour mark with a superb free kick effort to the top corner. Dylan Walsh levelled the tie just before half time. The visitors turned up the heat in the second half as Willie Darcy edged Nenagh ahead with a cracking twenty yard strike. Shane O’Gorman capped off the victory late on with a diving header to seal the win for the Blues.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ had too much fire power for Arra Rovers ‘A’ in this Shield quarter final played at the away venue. Mark Quinlan shot the visitors ahead with a close range finish, Paul Doyle got the second after an incisive pass from Mark Quinlan to leave Clodiagh Rangers two nil up at half time. It was more of the same in the second half as Mark Quinlan pounced for two more goals to complete his hat-trick.

Roscrea United ‘A’ signalled intent in their NT&DL maiden appearance with a four nil away victory over Ardcroney, David McNamara hit the home side for a brace while Paul Kirwan and Robbie Ryan were also on the mark for the debutants.

Second Division Shield
Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ travelled to Killoran Park for this midweek Shield preliminary round game against Templetuohy and were on the receiving end of a 3-2 defeat. A brace from Eugene Davy in addition to a Pakie O’Leary goal secured the victory for the hosts while Diarmuid Grant’s strike and an own goal accounted for the Clodiagh Rangers tally on the day.

Streamstown Celtic recorded a 4-1 victory over Shannon Rangers in this preliminary round tie of the Second Division Shield played last Wednesday. The Streamstown sharpshooters were Conor Fanneran, Wally Kirwan, Michael Kirwan and Peter Hogan, while Keith Kelly scored the Shannon Rangers reply with a long range free kick.

It took a penalty shootout to separate Templetuohy and Streamstown after the sides finished level on a three all score line after ninety minutes. Peter Hogan, Roddy Teehan and Wally Kirwan netted for Streamstown while Shane Fogarty, PJ O’Brien and Tony Buston replied for the Killoran Park side. Templetuohy shaded it on penalties with a 3-2 winning margin. The ace marksmen for the winners were JP Lanigan, Kieran Bowe and Liam Ryan, while Wally Kirwan and Gary Kenneally replied for Streamstown Celtic.

Ballymackey ‘A’ came through a penalty shoot against Holycross ‘A’ on a 3-1 score line when the sides were locked on a one all scoreline at the full time whistle. Holycross took the lead through Colin O’Meara on 43 minutes, however Alan Sweeney scored an equalizer minutes later. The second half failed to produce a winner so it was down to the penalty shootout to determine the outcome, Benny Ryan, Timmy Fleming and Mark Harty scored the all-important penalties for the Ballinree side while goalkeeper Tony Delaney saved to swing the result in favour of Ballymackey, Seanie Comerford scored the lone reply for Holycross.

BT Harp’s ‘B’ emerged victorious against Nenagh AFC ‘C’ on a narrow 3-2 score line, Johnny Coleman, Stevie Nolan and Michael O’Meara rattled the net for the Templemore side, Steven Aherne scored twice  from the spot for Nenagh AFC.

Third Division Shield
Lough Derg ‘B’ played host to Holycross ‘B’ and took full advantage with a 2-1 result over the Glenbane side. The Ballina/Killaloe side got the ideal start when Noel McInerney rattled the net with just four minutes gone. Holycross pressed at the start of the second half and got back level on the hour mark courtesy of a Kyle Denny finish. Noel McInerney restored the Lough Derg advantage twenty minutes from time with a bicycle kick effort to leave no way back for Holycross on this occasion.

Arra Rovers ‘B’ chalked up a 6-2 win over Noreside Celtic in this Third Division Shield preliminary round game played in Newtown last Wednesday. Jack Keating bagged a hat-trick for the Portroe side which was complemented with strikes from Niall Gleeson and Willie Conway. The Noreside goal scorers were Kieran O’Meara and Tommy Quinlivan.

Sallypark ‘B’ trekked to Borrisokane for this Shield tie against Borrisokane ‘B’ and came home empty handed after losing out on a 2-1 score line. The sides were scoreless at the break, however the home side showed strongly in the second half and took up a two nil lead thanks to a David Nevin brace. Sallypark rallied towards the end of the game and pulled a goal back through Joe Shanahan five minutes from time, however it was a case of too little too late.

Cloughjordan ‘B’ were on their travels to Drombane to play Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ and claimed a two nil victory in the process. A Thomas Williams penalty and an Eoin Killackey goal proved the difference on the day.

NT&DL debutants Roscrea United needed a penalty shootout to overcome the challenge of Lough Derg ‘B’ last Sunday, Kieran Larkin scored for Lough Derg while the visitors goal was scored by Chris Conlon, Roscrea United emerged 3-1 winners from the penalty shoot-out and had their finishers in Niall O’Lone, Colm McGrath and Martin Loughnane. The Lough Derg penalty was converted by Eric Monaghan.

Arra Rovers ‘B’ had too much strength in depth for Gurtagarry on a five goals to one score line, the Portroe marksmen were Christopher Riordan who chipped in with a hat-trick while Barry Heffernan and Padraig Gill also scored, Billy Corcoran scored the Gurtagarry goal from the spot on the stroke of half time.