• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review – Week Ending 4th August

Premier Division Shield Final
BT Harps were crowned Premier Division Shield winners following a penalty shootout victory over Lough Derg in Clarisford Park on Sunday afternoon. The Templemore side had taken a two nil lead with the opener coming from James Kavanagh on the eleven minute mark. The advantage was then stretched to two nil midway through the half courtesy of an own goal. The Lakers picked it up after this and brought it back level with strikes from Stephen McCarthy and Damien McCarthy to take the tie to spot kicks. BT Harps held the upper hand in the penalty shootout and had their marksmen in James Kavanagh, Christy Moore and Johnny Martin while Aaron McCullagh converted the lone reply for Lough Derg. Michael Leo representing the NT&DL presented the Premier Division Shield trophy to BT Harps captain Declan Fogarty after the game.

First Division Shield Final
Roscrea United ‘A’ and Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ contested a well-attended First Division Shield Final played at a sun drenched Roscrea last Sunday afternoon with a gallant visiting side pulling out all the stops to snatch a dramatic win against the odds. The home team made a lively start and created the better chances, however the Drombane outfit stood firm to keep the score line intact. Clodiagh Rangers worked their way in to the game as the half progressed and came close with efforts from John Ryan and Barry O’Loughlin. It was end to end in the second half as an in-form Mark Quinlan was a constant threat for the visiting side with his probing runs while Roscrea were kept at bay by some excellent goalkeeping from custodian Adrian Cooke. Roscrea United looked to have got the breakthrough when the referee pointed to the spot, however the penalty was stroked wide of the mark. Clodiagh Rangers snatched a dramatic winner in the dying moments when Matt Ryan got on the end of Paul English’s free kick to delicately head home to give Clodiagh Rangers a memorable win. Gerry Larkin representing the NT&DL presented the First Division Shield Trophy to captain Greg Fewer after the game.

Second Division Shield Final
BT Harps made it a Shield title double the Club following a 5-3 victory over Ballymackey ‘A’ in Templemore on Sunday afternoon. The visitors got the ideal start when ace target man Timmy Fleming crashed home the opener inside the first minute, however BT Harps upped the ante and hit the Ballinree side for three on the trot with a brace from Eanna Jones and well taken effort from Sam van Dam. Ballymackey kept plugging as Kevin Mounsey finished between the posts to leave the minimum between the sides, but Johnny Coleman made it 4-2 with a goal from the spot to leave BT Harps in control at the midway stage and then Johnny Coleman scored again early in the second half to leave the visiting side with an uphill battle. Ballymackey didn’t give up though and Timmy Fleming narrowed the deficit with his second of the outing from the spot midway through the half, BT Harps shut up shop after this to secure the title. Richie Fogarty representing the NT&DL presented the Shield Trophy to BT Harps captain Dean Loughnane.

Third Division Shield Final
Debutant side Arra Rovers ‘B’ prevailed over defending Shield holders Cloughjordan ‘B’ following a penalty shootout in Cloughjordan last Sunday. Arra Rovers dominated the opening exchanges and took the lead with a headed goal from Niall Gleeson. The home side settled after this and good attacking play from Dean O’Meara forced the concession of a penalty which was duly converted by Thomas Williams. Cloughjordan went in at the break with a 2-1 advantage after center half Niall Farrell scored from a corner kick. The second half was a real tussle with few chances created, however Willie Conway pounced late on to send the game to penalties where Arra Rovers proved the more accurate on a 4-3 moiety. The Arra Rovers penalty scorers were Stephen Kennedy, Justin Conroy, Darren Conroy and Darren Aherne while Thomas Williams, Colin Browne and Andy Brennan converted for Cloughjordan. NT&DL Chairman Mike Young presented the Shield Trophy to Arra Rovers captain Darren Aherne after the game.

John Delaney Cup
Nenagh AFC travelled to Tipperary Town on Friday evening for this John Delaney Cup quarter Final game against St Michaels FC and bowed out of the competition on a three nil score line, Pa Quinn edged the TSDL side ahead after seventeen minutes, the home side continued to press and took a two nil lead to the break thanks to a second strike from Pa Quinn two minutes before the half time whistle. Nenagh AFC battled to get back in to the game in the second half, but failed to breakdown a stern defensive display from the home side and then John O’Brien wrapped it up for the Saints three minutes from time.

Thurles Town faced a tricky away last eight game on Friday evening against Clonmel Town and succumbed to a 6-3 defeat. The home side were fast out of the traps and raced in to a three nil lead with an opening half hat-trick from sharpshooter Shane Murphy. The NT&DL rallied somewhat in the second half and pulled a goal back through Tom Kirby, however the Clonmel side regrouped and restored their advantage through Emmet Johnson. Thurles came back at the home team as Tom Kirby rattled the net for a second time. Clonmel stepped it up a gear again when Emmet Johnson notched up his second of the day to leave a 5-2 advantage in favour of the TSDL side. The visitors brought it back to 5-3 when Tom Brophy found the target ten minutes from time, however Clonmel Town clinched the win with a Keith Cashman strike near the end.

Clonmel Celtic progressed to the semi-final stages of the John Delaney Cup at the expense Cloughjordan at the South Tipperary venue last Saturday afternoon on a 4-1 scoreline, Paddy O’Donnell set the home side on their way in the 15th minute, however Michael Costello levelled from the spot five minutes later. Paul Kennedy made it 2-1 to the hosts on the hour mark and then David Joyce further extended the lead with a well taken spot kick . Paddy O’Donnell made sure of the win with his second of the day ten minutes from time.

Nenagh Celtic recorded a comfortable 6-1 victory over TSDL side Old Bridge at Nenagh VEC on Sunday afternoon. The Nenagh side laid the foundation in the opening half thanks to a Craig Connolly brace and a well taken Jimmy Hynes effort. It was more of the same in the second half as Jimmy Hynes added his second of the day, Mark Walsh not to be outdone chipped in with a double hit to leave the home side with an unassailable lead. Eoin Leahy got the Old Bridge consolation goal minutes from the end.

First Division Shield Semi-Finals
Clodiagh Rangers had too much strength in depth for Borroway Rovers in this semi-final tie played in Drombane on Wednesday evening on a final score line of six goals to three. The Thurles side had taken the lead through Damien Grimes, however the home side settled after this and worked a quick move from the back which culminated in a smashing finish from John Ryan. Clodiagh Rangers kept the pressure on and tacked on two more courtesy of finishes from Rob Sheehy and Mark Quinlan to leave the hosts with a 3-1 advantage at the midway stage. Borroway brought it back to the minimum with a David Keane goal early in the second half, however Rob Sheehy restored the Drombane side’s advantage with a cracking header, Paul Doyle then stepped in to the action with a powerful strike to give the home side a 5-2 finish. Borroway didn’t throw in the towel and pulled one back with a John Callinan effort, however Clodiagh Rangers were to have the last say when Mark Quinlan netted his second of the outing to give his side a comfortable win in the end.

Roscrea United ‘A’ had to battle all the way to overcome Nenagh AFC ‘B’ in Nenagh last Wednesday evening on a narrow 3-2 score line. The visiting side showed the early prowess and enjoyed a three nil lead at the midway stage thanks to a trio of goals from David McNamara coming on 21, 34 and 42 minutes respectively. The Brickfields side took the game to NT&DL debutants in the second half as Birinder Singh reduced the deficit with fifteen minutes to go and then Shane O’Gorman set up a hectic finish with a converted penalty in the 82nd minute. Nenagh AFC pressed hard for the equalizer in the remaining minutes, however Roscrea Utd held out to secure their place in the Final.

Second Division Shield Semi-Finals
Killoran Park was the venue for this Shield semi-final game on Wednesday evening where BT Harps ‘B’ accounted for Templetuohy on a two goals to nil score line. A goal either side of half time settled the outcome, Billy Prout was first to hit the net on the half hour mark and then Johnny Coleman doubled the tally in the second half to copper fasten a place in the Final for the Templemore side.

Ballymackey ‘A’ welcomed NT&DL newcomers Portumna Town to Ballinree for this Second Division Shield last four game and came out on the right side of a 4-3 score line against the Galway side following a high tension finale. The visiting side brought it back to three all in the 90th minute with a Keith Neville goal following strikes from Colin Burke either side of half time, while the Ballymackey goals were scored by Kevin Mounsey, Timmy Fleming and Alan Kenneally. It looked as if the game was heading for a penalty shootout, however Timmy Fleming had other ideas and crashed home a dramatic winner in the 92nd minute to clinch a place in the Final.

Third Division Shield Semi-Finals
The strong start from Arra Rovers ‘B’ continued last Wednesday evening with victory over Roscrea United ‘B’ following a penalty shootout to make it through to the Third Division Shield Final. Roscrea led one nil with ten minutes to go courtesy of a Mark Crawford goal, however a Mark McCarthy equalizer forced the penalty shootout where the Portroe side held the upper hand on a 3-2 scoreline. The Arra Rovers target men were Kevin O’Halloran, Kieran Ryan and Colin Ryan while Niall O’Lone and Gavin Loughnane scored the Roscrea penalties.

Borrisokane ‘B’ came through against neighbours Cloughjordan ‘B’ on a 2-1 score to book their place in the decider. The visitors led two nil with goals from Jack Farrell on the fifteen minute mark and Dean O’Meara on 75 minutes, Borrisokane pulled a goal back three minutes from time through David Nevin, however it was a case of too little too late.