• Wed. Oct 27th, 2021

North Tipperary & District League

Supporting Amatuer Soccer

Weekend Review for Week Ending 25th August

ByGer Kennedy

Aug 26, 2013

Premier Division League
Rearcross recorded a merited 3-1 result over BT Harps at Rearcross FC Grounds on Friday evening, the hosts took the lead after six minutes when Simon Kennedy’s shot from the right flank glided to the net with the assistance of a deflection. The lead was stretched to two nil in the 59th minute after Michael O’Gorman rammed the goal of the tie to the top corner of the net from outside the box following good approach play from James Gough & Derek O’Toole. Rearcross kept the pressure and raced in to a three nil lead with a clinical finish from Derek O’Toole midway through the half. BT Harps launched a late attack and pulled a goal back four minutes from time when Stefan Leahy rifled home from inside the box, however it was a case of too little too late.

Thurles Town emerged four nil winners over Sallypark in this Premier league game played in Sallypark on Saturday evening. Jamie O’Connor set the Thurles side on their way with the opener after three minutes of play. Robbie Jordan doubled the away side’s tally in the thirteenth minute. Sallypark will rue not making better use of chances creating the second half and it was more of the same from a Thurles Town perspective as Tom Brophy increased the lead to three nil on 62 minutes and then Christy Bourke sealed with win late on with a well taken goal.

Nenagh AFC made it two league wins from two with a 3-1 victory against Lough Derg at the Brickfields venue. The Blues laid the foundation in the opening half after netting three without reply, Padraig Ryan bagged a brace with two fine strikes to the roof of the net and then Ryan Gilmartin got on the score sheet with a neat finish following a one-two with Alan Sheehan.

Cloughjordan were 5-1 winners over Moneygall on Sunday morning. Moneygall had taken a one nil lead in the first half courtesy of a Patsy Greene goal, however it was one way traffic in the second period as Cloughjordan pounced for five without reply, Ger O’Brien helped himself to a brace with Kevin Kennedy and Kevin Quinlan also on target, Cian Doyle made up to the tally with a converted penalty.

First Division League
Borrisokane came out on top against Arra Rovers on a two nil score line last Friday evening in Borrisokane. The sides were goalless at the break following a keenly contested opening half, however the home side were quick out of the blocks in the second half and hit the front on 47 minutes when an in swinging corner kick was met by Gordon Harding who headed between the posts. Borrisokane stayed on the attack and scored again on the fifty five minute mark when Danny Butler converted from the spot. The home side had chances to extend their lead after this however it finished two nil at the full time whistle give Borrisokane their first league win of the season.

A divide of the spoils was the final outcome between Ardcroney and Clonmore on Sunday afternoon in this league fixture played in Ardcroney. A tight affair throughout saw Ardcroney take the lead on the twenty minute mark when Simon Curran found the bottom corner. Clonmore reacted quickly and pulled a goal back with a spectacular free kick effort from David Bourke. Both sides were unable to break the deadlock in the second half with Clonmore custodian Michael Doyle producing two top draw saves to leave a stalemate situation at the end of ninety minutes.

Kilcommon and Clodiagh Rangers ‘A’ clashed in this First Division derby game played in Kilcommon. The sides were scoreless at the break, however Paul Doyle broke the deadlock on the hour mark with a converted penalty. The hosts will rue not converting from the spot ten minutes later and to make matters worse, the Drombane made it two nil from the resulting break with a second from Cian Doyle. Clodiagh Rangers kept the pressure on and rounded off the win late on with further goals from Mark Quinlan and Shane O’Dwyer.

Nenagh Celtic ‘B’ plundered a 4-3 win from Roscrea United ‘A’ in Nenagh last Sunday, John Paul O’Brien put the home side ahead early in the first half, Roscrea responded and took up a 2-1 lead with strikes from John Pio Fitzpatrick and Paul Kirwan. Nenagh Celtic were back level after Danny Ryan found the target and then a Brian Duffy header gave the Hoops a 3-2 lead. It was end to end as Roscrea drew level courtesy of a John Cordial goal, Danny Ryan scored what proved to be the winner with ten minutes left, although Nenagh Celtic had to call on Aidan Herlihy to make a superb penalty save in the dying moments to hold out for the win.

Nenagh AFC ‘B’ and Borroway Rovers finished level on a four all score line in Nenagh last Sunday morning in what was a ding dong affair. The game was tied on a one all score line at the break after Tommy Martin scored the opener for Nenagh on five minutes and then Damien Grimes levelled for the visitors midway through the half. Damien Grimes completed his hat-trick with goals in the 55th and 65th minute respectively and then Trevor Morrissey not to be outdone pounced for a brace on 67 and 86 minutes. The drama continued as Damien Grimes edged Borroway Rovers ahead two minutes from time, however Nenagh weren’t finished as Trevor Morrissey snatched a dramatic equalizer in the 93rd minute.

Second Division League
Streamstown recovered a two nil deficit to eventually run out 5-2 winners against Nenagh AFC ‘C in this top of the table clash played in Fanure. The home side were one up at the break thanks to a Wally Kirwan left foot curler from the edge of the area and then Wally Kirwan netted a second shortly after the restart. The Brickfields side pulled one back when Martin Fogarty scrambled the ball over the line following a corner kick. It was all square two minutes later after Kieran O’Donoghue finished to the net from the right wing. Streamstown took over after this and cruised to a 5-2 win courtesy of strikes from Craig Phelan, Shane Moloney and Wally Kirwan who completed his hat-trick in the process.

BT Harps ‘B’ came out on top against Clodiagh Rangers ‘B’ by the odd goal in seven. Stefan Leahy was on the mark twice while Billy Prout and David Fennell also hit the target for the Templemore side. The Clodiagh Rangers goal getters were Dylan Sheridan who scored twice while Ailbe O’Donoghue also rattled the net for the home side.

Ballymackey and Holycross ‘A’ shared six goals before finished level at the full time whistle in this league fixture played in Ballinree. The visitors enjoyed a one nil lead at the break thanks to a Colin O’Meara finish and doubled their advantage three minutes in to the second period when the ball was knocked to the net following great work by James King. Ballymackey opened their account on the hour mark with a Kevin Mounsey header. Holycross restored their advantage with a smashing volley from the boot of Callum O’Connor, however the hosts rallied in the dying moments and pulled it back level with the first coming from Brian Dunne three minutes from time and then Ballymackey robbed the ball from the resulting kick off before Kevin Mounsey bagged his second of the day to secure an unlikely share of the spoils.

Shannon Rangers and Portumna Town played out an eight goal thriller in Ballinderry to leave a final score line of four goals apiece. The home side made the livelier start and got off the mark on twenty minutes with a Darren Carroll goal. Willie Cleary popped up minutes later to score from the left flank netting his first of the season in the process. The rout continued for Shannon Rangers when good play in the middle of the field saw Sean Moran’s cross met by Darren Carroll who headed home his second of the outing. The hosts went in at half time with a four goal lead after Sean Moran waltzed through before rounding the keeper to slot home. The Galway side were thrown a lifeline when Sean O’Meara scored just before half time and then Sean O’Meara added a second to keep the game very much alive. Portumna were attacking in droves and Shannon Rangers keeper Dan Reddan kept the score line intact after saving from the spot. A hectic finish ensured when Eoghan O’Toole crashed the ball home on the hour mark and then a high tension finish to the game saw Sean O’Meara complete his hat-trick from the spot to earn a well-earned draw for the visiting team.

Third Division League
Arra Rovers ‘B’ romped to a four nil victory over Noreside Celtic in Portroe on Sunday afternoon, a David Lumbroso goal gave the home side a one nil advantage at the midway stage and then a luckless visiting side conceded an own goal early in the second half before Christopher O’Riordan tacked on a brace to clinch maximum points for Arra Rovers on the day.

Rearcross ‘B’ fell to a 5-2 home defeat to Sallypark ‘B’ last Sunday afternoon, Liam Ryan had given the home side the lead with just three minutes gone, however Sallypark took over after this and took a 5-1 lead to the break with goals from Anthony Madden, Paudie Ryan, Chris Treacy and David Corrigan before the home side conceded an own goal. Rearcross picked it up in the second half and reduced the deficit with a well taken goal from Aidan Long and had further chances after this but it finished 5-2 at end of ninety minutes.

Nenagh Celtic ‘C’ trekked to Borrisokane for this league tie against Borrisokane ‘B’ and secured the win on a slender one nil scoreline. The all-important goal came in the 75th minute when Davie Walsh headed home from an Enrico Casey cross.

Clodiagh Rangers ‘C’ and Cloughjordan ‘B’ played out a two all draw in Drombane last Sunday afternoon. Brian Carroll & Bobby Wade scored the Clodiagh Rangers goals while Colin Browne and Andy Brennan replied for the away side.

Gurtagarry were at home to Holycross ‘B’ but lost out on a two nil scoreline, JoJo O’Meara was the key man for the Glenbane side with two goals to his credit.

Roscrea ‘B’ claimed the win over Lough Derg ‘B’ on a winning score line of 3-2, Gavin Loughnane netted a brace while Martin Harty was also on the mark for the winners. Keith Stritch scored both Lough Derg goals.

Youths Shield
BT Harps Youths had too much firepower for Ballymackey Youths in this Shield tie played in Ballinree last Saturday. The home side took the lead with a Niall McDonnell goal coming in the 2nd minute, however the game was over as a contest at the break after the Templemore struck seven on the trot including a brace apiece from Jamie Bergin and Eric Quinlan while Emmet Moloney, Robbie O’Connell, Dylan Loughnane were also on the mark for away side. Ballymackey didn’t throw in the towel in the second half and pulled two back with a double hit from Gearoid Murphy.

Nenagh AFC Youths were 5-2 victors over Clodiagh Rangers in Drombane to secure their place in the last four. Clodiagh had opened up a one nil lead through Loughlin Ryan, however Nenagh equalized thanks to a Ben Banaghan goal on twenty five minutes and took the lead minutes later when Ryan Gilmartin coolly slotted between the posts from in front of goals. A strong finish to the half from Nenagh saw Dylan Walsh bag a third for the visitors and then Ben Banaghan netted his second of the day from the resultant kick off to leave the hosts with an uphill battle in the second half. Clodiagh Rangers tried hard after the re-start and pulled one back with fifteen minutes to play following a well taken goal from Niall Grant, however Nenagh AFC had the last say after Dylan Walsh copper fastened the win with a well worked goal six minutes from time.

Lough Derg Youths are through to the semi-final stages of the Youths Shield thanks to a narrow 3-2 win over Nenagh Celtic Youths at Nenagh VEC. A double hit from Shane Moloney gave the Ballina / Killaloe outfit a two nil lead at the half time whistle, Sean O’Meara brought it back to the minimum for Celtic with a cracking finish, however an in-form Shane Moloney completed his hat-trick to leave Lough Derg in the driving seat. Sean O’Meara set up a tense finish after bagging his second of the day with twenty minutes to go, however Lough Derg dug deep after this to grind out the win.